Glacier Chiller Owners w/ Dedicated 2" Return Line

sll0037

Dec 26, 2022
Dallas, TX
Are there any Glacier Chiller Owners who plumbed their chillers during a new build out there?

Glacier calls for a 2" dedicated return to the center of the pool floor on new builds, which is how I had mine plumbed today (awaiting gunite).

Another member mentioned that the chiller can't be more than 25 ft from the pool with this set-up (mine is about 50 feet away), but when I contacted Glacier, they wouldn't provide a maximum distance allowed and their install instructions don't mention a max distance either. Glacier just said closer is better.

Am I going to have an issue with my set-up using a Glacier GPC-215?

I can only speak about my particular GPC-215 setup during my owner build. I didn’t call to ask any questions of Glacier support for the install.

My plumbers had the Glacier new construction install directions and did not follow them. In their experience, they felt the chiller‘s basin pump couldn’t push the chilled water very far. So they plumbed the chiller outlet line directly into the pool return distribution line. The below image should give you an idea of what I mean.

I can only speak about my particular GPC-215 setup during my owner build. I didn’t call to ask any questions of Glacier support for the install.

My plumbers had the Glacier new construction install directions and did not follow them. In their experience, they felt the chiller‘s basin pump couldn’t push the chilled water very far. So they plumbed the chiller outlet line directly into the pool return distribution line. The below image should give you an idea of what I mean.

Thanks for the information.

This makes me nervous!

What am I going to do with two floor returns if the sump pump can't reach the pool? I noticed the GPC-215 comes with a 1/3 hp but they have a 1/2 hp pump on their site too. I wonder if the pumps are easily interchanged in a worse case scenario.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.