Getting really frustrated here!

STX Steve said:
Viola!

Neighbor that is leaving the Island has just now gave me a brand new Taylor K-2005 test kit, after me telling him my problems.

Wish I'd had this thing when I started.

I'll take some readings and get back.

STX Steve
Be aware that the chlorine test in that kit is a DPD test, not a FAS-DPD test. It still won't read the levels you want, and in fact, can bleach out at high FC levels giving you a false low reading. The yellow OTO chlorine test will just get darker when FC is above the scale.

The good news is, ordering just the FAS-DPD part will turn that K-2005 into a K-2006. Take a good look at how much reagent you have, and be sure the bottles haven't discolored, and just order refills all at once to save on postage.

Richard320 said:
STX Steve said:
Viola!

Neighbor that is leaving the Island has just now gave me a brand new Taylor K-2005 test kit, after me telling him my problems.

Wish I'd had this thing when I started.

I'll take some readings and get back.

STX Steve
Be aware that the chlorine test in that kit is a DPD test, not a FAS-DPD test. It still won't read the levels you want, and in fact, can bleach out at high FC levels giving you a false low reading. The yellow OTO chlorine test will just get darker when FC is above the scale.

The good news is, ordering just the FAS-DPD part will turn that K-2005 into a K-2006. Take a good look at how much reagent you have, and be sure the bottles haven't discolored, and just order refills all at once to save on postage.

OK, ordered the test kit.

The reagents in the kit my neighbor gave me are new, says he just got the kit in May.

In the mean time should I keep doing the what I'm doing?

Steve

Yeah, keep it at shock level until you can measure FC and CC with the new kit and confirm you're done with the process. The SWG can help keep the levels up for you - I'm sure bleach is pricey down there since shipping mostly water is expensive.

You would be a good candidate for using Cal-hypo to boost the chlorine, since your water is so low on CH and you have a plaster pool.

Ok! Today I finally got my chlorine FAS-DPD test kit.

IMO, I have been well above the shock level based on my testing with the K-2005 kit that I have here and today's the test with the FAS-DPD for well over 10 days.

The first 4 days I ran the filter and SWG 24/7 and added a jug of bleach every time I would scrub the pool.

I have not added any bleach or chlorine since I last brushed the pool on 7/8/2013 other than running the SWG for 5 hours / day since the 8th.

Pool is crystal clear and 84 degree in the morning and 88 in the afternoon.

Today's results are:
FC = 25 ppm on FAS-DPD
CC = 0 ppm on FAS-DPD
PH = 7.2
TA = 90
CH = 450
CYA = above 100 on the scale.

What now?

STX Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.