Getting ready to patch and paint my pool. Suggestions welcome

Mar 30, 2011
Clearwater, FL
I am finishing up scraping and cleaning... I have paint prep cleaner (acid wash) , rough primer epoxy paint and epoxy top coat blue paint. The pool was painted with the same brand of paint in 2012. DuraSeal from Leslies.

Bottom of my pool is concrete, top 3' is a fiberglass wrap.

Previous owners used gray nitrile rubber to patch small holes in the concrete. They also sealed around the seam between the fiberglass wrap and the concrete. I have removed all the nitrile rubber from holes and most of the seal around the pool between the fiberglass because they made such a lumpy mess of the stuff.

My neighbor (who just painted his pool) wants me to use a fiberglass resin and patch the seam instead. I think this is overkill. The nitrile rubber was fine and the only reason I had to rip it out was because they globbed it on in places. I already have 2 10oz tubes of nitrile rubber

I also got some pool patch "White Pool Plaster Repair Kit" - neighbor is trying to convince me to use tile glue to patch the holes in the marcite

In spots where the old paint has chipped away leaving the marcite exposed... neighbor wants me to patch those spots before painting.... isn't that what that rough primer is for? The can says its for coating concrete and plaster. Should I try to sand the edges of the pain chip areas first or will the rough primer cover them OK?

I'm not looking for a better homes and garden award. Just want the pool to look OK and hopefully last 5 years before needing to do this again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.