Getting quotes to replaster

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
Howdy -

We are looking at getting quotes to re-plaster our 18 year old pebble tech type finish. The first bid I got was around what I thought it was going to be in terms of cost. The contractor said they should be able to plaster over the old pebble tech without having to strip it first. Striping it was another 2K dollars. Is it possible for them to go over the old without compromising the new plaster? The old pebble tech finish seems to be bonded well to the gunite shell. The issue we have with the current plaster is a lot of the pebbles have dislodged and the bottom of the pool is extremely rough on the feet in a few areas.

Thank you

If pebbles are dislodging how do you expect new plaster to adhere to loose pebbles?

The $2K for a full chipout is well worth the investment.

Specify you want the chipout to use flat chisels, not pointed. Pointed chisels damage the gunite.

Reactions: kimkats and KJB1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I have, a few years ago they were very common for a while with some of the re-plaster companies but I haven’t seen many lately. This may be due to its inability to remove an exposed aggregate plaster.
I feel these finishes were better prepped for the re-plaster application on the shell than jobs done with chisels due to the amount of plaster that was removed and the texture that was left behind.
Two negatives with pointed chisels are the amount of plaster left behind and the amount of Shotcrete removed.
I had conversations with my steel engineering firm and they were concerned about how much Shotcrete was being removed when pointed chisels were being used.

MOD note-word was changed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
@AQUA~HOLICS

I have more typos, bad grammar and misspelled words than all of our TFP members combined. :mrgreen:

I was not trying to be picky, but just wanted to make sure everyone knew what you meant. I had assumed you meant inability, but wanted to make sure for anyone reading this thread later.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.