Getting everything fixed up

njpool33

Aug 31, 2023
NJ
Hi everyone,

New pool owner here. It's an older pool with two skimmers and two returns. No bottom drains. Vinyl liner. Plastic stairs. Hayward DE filter (recently back washed, pressure good), old Hayward single speed pump, and a Hayward chlorinator.

I was having an algae problem and wasn't getting long lasting results from the pool store products. Overall the pool was very clear and clean aside from the occasional green algae on the walls or stairs. I used the test sticks but they're effectively useless.

Received my TF-Pro Test Kit and started testing the water. Found the pH to be very low (not measurable with kit) and the TA to be 0 . CYA 100 or higher. My assumption is that the low pH and the high CYA was caused by the 3" chlorine pucks (trichloro?). I'm told the rain is also a bit acidic here as well. I've since switched to liquid chlorine (HDX 10%).

I remedied pH and TA with soda ash and borax. Switched off the chlorinator.

My current readings are:
FC 8.0
CC 1.0
pH 7.2
TA 70
CYA 100+
CH 100

While the numbers except from CYA seem pretty good... The pool now has very slight green/yellow with brown steps. Seems like it could be metals or organic. It does not brush off. Attached are a couple pictures. You can see the stairs and the differences in a "clean" and a "dirty" spot of vinyl.

I'm in the Northeast and the leaves are coming so I will be closing the pool within the next month. I hired someone to come out, they will follow the typical procedure. Lowering the pool water level and dilution over the fall/winter/spring will hopefully bring my CYA back in line. If not I will correct upon opening. My only unknown here is that I have a safety cover that appears mostly solid, but has a mesh center line that goes the length of the cover. I'll keep any debris off the pool cover so it doesn't break down into the pool. I'll keep the water level below that mesh for the duration it is closed with a submersible pump I'll add.

With all that said, a couple questions:
  • What could be causing the brown stairs and dirty looking vinyl? Is it just excess metals?
  • Knowing I have a partial mesh cover, should I add anything in particular to try to make my opening easier?

Attachments

• Vinyl.JPG
    Vinyl.JPG
    864.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Stairs.JPG
    Stairs.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 3
  • What could be causing the brown stairs and dirty looking vinyl? Is it just excess metals?

Rub a paste of vitamin C in a sock on the brown areas and see if it lifts. If it does it is iron stains.

• Knowing I have a partial mesh cover, should I add anything in particular to try to make my opening easier?

Close late and open early when water temp is 60F or less.

Put Polyquat60 in at closing...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.