Getting antsy...

Gnarbrah

Apr 24, 2022
Florida
Was supposed to have Pool School from the PB this morning but so far they're a no show...
Anyway, my TF-Pro kit is supposed to deliver today and knowing me I'll be out there this evening trying it out.
My pool is brand new. Had hot start Monday (4 days ago) with 8 gallons of acid, then 2 chlorine tabs dropped in the skimmer on Wednesday (2 days ago).
Water looks nice but I know I'm probably not even close to being able to get in. When the Tech was here last he said they'd be back next week to start balancing the chemicals.
As the pool is still technically in their hands I'm guessing I should just let them finish?

That being said should I even bother with my TF-Pro or just wait until they're done?

So pool school guy is now 4.5 hours late and I haven't had any response to my texts to them. Is it chemically possible that my PH could be anywhere near the realm of acceptable for swimming this weekend (8 gallons of acid Monday)?
Still waiting on the mail man with my TF-Pro...
Also, if by some miracle it is swimmable would I have any chance of damaging the pebble finish? It was installed 8 days ago and acid washed/filled 7 days ago. I've been brushing it twice a day for 5 days.

TF-pro showed up! Just did my first test. Chlorine and ph. Doesn’t look too good…

Still no response about pool school that was supposed to happen this morning. The two chlorine tabs he dropped in the skimmer are almost gone (pump is running full tilt 24/7). Should I grab a couple more and throw them in a floater? I don't want to start any algae. right now the water looks good and I'd like to at least keep that going until we can swim.

Attachments

• FAA0003F-23D5-4ED9-B095-9AB3EF895C87.jpeg
    FAA0003F-23D5-4ED9-B095-9AB3EF895C87.jpeg
    995 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
You shouldn’t plan on swimming until they come back or give some instructions . It’s likely they are doing an acid start up & until that’s neutralized its a no go with chlorine or swimmers. Hopefully they will get back with u soon & give some guidance if they aren’t coming back. Don’t be too worried- it’s likely part of the procedure.
Here’s some general plaster start up info
You don’t want to do anything to alter your finish’s warranty in haste.

You're right - I definitely don't want to mess anything up. They're a pretty big outfit that over extended themselves with the whole covid people buying pools fiasco.
I just need to find some patience...

need to find some patience

You are OH so close to the finish line of a project that you will enjoy for decades. You will never remember the extra week it took. Not even next month.

Right now you are pacing back and forth like a dog tied to a tree. I get it. I promise. But it's not even May and you will still get 95% of the season in. :)

You are OH so close to the finish line of a project that you will enjoy for decades. You will never remember the extra week it took. Not even next month.

Right now you are pacing back and forth like a dog tied to a tree. I get it. I promise. But it's not even May and you will still get 95% of the season in. :)
I know but it's killing me (and especially my 11 year old daughter)! My home office window stares out at the back yard with this pool that I signed the papers for 14 months ago and it's actually there! Glistening away in the sun and the water is already 85 degrees! Sigh...

• Haha
Reactions: newdude
I know but it's killing me (and especially my 11 year old daughter)! My home office window stares out at the back yard with this pool that I signed the papers for 14 months ago and it's actually there! Glistening away in the sun and the water is already 85 degrees! Sigh...
Which means once everything is balanced the water will be nice and comfortable to just jump right in!
I'm jealous, my water hasn't even hit 70 degrees yet!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So pool school is supposedly rescheduled for tomorrow morning. After my daily brushing today I decided to test the ph again. Looks to me like I’m high now which I guess is good? Is that normal for 8 gallons of acid to go poof in 8 days?
More importantly is there a chance I can be swim ready this weekend?
I didn’t bother to test the chlorine because I haven’t added any and the 2 tablets have been gone for days…
Water appears to be getting a little bit cloudy as well.

Attachments

• 66CE4973-6097-4B67-9D89-7B43BC516AEE.jpeg
    66CE4973-6097-4B67-9D89-7B43BC516AEE.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 14
Did they instruct u to add any chlorine now that the ph is rising? Hopefully they will come early in the morning! I would hate for u to get an algea bloom. Do u have a tablet u can put in a floater? If so, Be sure that it doesn’t get stuck anywhere for too long. That low amount of chlorine from 1 floating tablet shouldn’t cause any ill effects - just hopefully ward off nasties brewing.

They haven't told me anything! Communication is somewhat lacking but I'm pretty sure we're the first stop tomorrow morning. No tabs on hand or I'd throw one in a floater. Hopefully tomorrow they get it going in the right direction! Another 3 weeks and they add the salt then the fun should start.

The pool school I got from the builder was about as good as the pump station the recommended. If you can read instructions on the test kit box, you won't learn anything from the instruction. I learned everything from reading here and never listened to the pool store or called the builder. Any problems I've had have been worked out here with kind community suggestions. My only advice as an owner not an expert is #1 test test test. Treat the pool like it's a live animal and you won't miss a sunny day due to water issues. #2 if you have a heater make sure there is a check valve between it and the chlorine source. #3 pucks build cya faster than you think. #4 probably too late but a segregation loop to enable you to bypass the heater will save you time and money later.

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks all - no heater so no worries on that end. I plan on testing, reading and asking lots of questions on here! I figure the pool
Is still in the builders hands until I at least get the salt in the pool. It’ll be fun to test after they add chemicals tomorrow for sure!

Pay lots of attention to exactly what they add & what amounts - it really should probably be only something for ph (acid) & chlorine. Log it in PoolMath
You will be on the hook for daily chlorination until your swg is up & running.
So be ready with liquid chlorine 👍🏻
They may leave u some acid if they are nice.

Thanks guys! Pool school guy just left. He was old school and really seemed to know what he was talking about. Didn't try to push their maintenance or anything like that. My PH was high and he added about a quart of acid. I'll test it again this afternoon and see where it's at. The only other thing he said I need to keep on hand is acid and a bag of salt (long term). For now he said to just put 2 chlorine tabs in per week in the skimmer. I asked about a floater but he said they wouldn't dissolve fast enough to keep it where it needs to be until the salt goes in. The water is a touch cloudy but I can't remember exactly what he said was causing that - lack of chlorine maybe? He honestly didn't seem worried about the lack of chlorine until the salt is running.
Now back to my big question mark - what's my volume? Design paperwork said 12,800 - online calculators say 20k - pool school guy's papers said 15k. I think I'll start with 15k and see where it leads me.
He set up a 10 hour run time on the pump at 70GPM. From my math at 15k gallons that gives me about 3 turnovers a day.
As best I can tell my pool should be swimmable? As long as the ph is good nothing else will hurt right?
Let me know what you think. I'll start messing with pool math and try to get that figured out!
Thanks!

Get some liquid chlorine and take the tablets out of the skimmer basket. That is the worst place to put them as they go straight through your brand new pump and can cause it harm over the long term. The tablets also add in CYA aka stabilizer. After a while it will get so high you will have to remove and replace some of the water to get rid of it. Too much CYA and your chlorine demand will be too high to cover.

Get some liquid chlorine and take the tablets out of the skimmer basket. That is the worst place to put them as they go straight through your brand new pump and can cause it harm over the long term. The tablets also add in CYA aka stabilizer. After a while it will get so high you will have to remove and replace some of the water to get rid of it. Too much CYA and your chlorine demand will be too high to cover.
Thanks - how much chlorine should I pick up? Am I trying to get it where it needs to be or is it too early with my new pebble finish to be hitting it with that much chlorine?
I'm looking at pool math now - do I need to run a full series of tests to get that started properly?
Edit - just ran the CYA and I'm guessing it's zero? The black dot never disappeared and I filled the little tube all the way up.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.