Getting a free pool

Jul 15, 2012
I found someone giving away a 27' Atlantic above ground. I went to look at it. I think he said it's 5 or 8 years old. Don't remember exactly. Some of the top rails have edge rust. The rest of it looks great. I'm not sure what may be under the liner and on the legs, but overall, it looks good. The screws under the caps are also rusty. I'm assuming I can get parts if I need them. Any suggestions? Is this going to end up being a money pit? I figure for free, I have nothing but time to lose. Worst case, I end up scrapping it. I know I'll need a new liner.

If it's free, there isn't anything to loose by taking it and working with it. Just your time. If it's just surface rust, you may be able to use some steel wool or a wire brush and clean it up. Then use a good rust preventative paint to seal it. If the main structure (legs & wall) is sound then it shouldn't be a money pit. screws are easy to come by. Like you said, I would assume you will need to buy a new liner and not even try to salvage the existing liner, it isn't worth the trouble. Trying to line up the skimmer & return on an old liner would be difficult at best. Liners are fairly inexpensive and would be hole free.
Just do the right steps for ground preparations and use pavers under the legs. You can probably find the installation manual online. Take pics as you disassemble and put all the small parts in zipper bags.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.