Geometric Houston pool

Our PB is back in town so we visited some stone and tile stores this past weekend. The first place we went to was a bust. Everything was an upcharge or they didn't have it in stock or didn't have the right colors. Why are you calling yourself a pool tile store again??

Had much more luck at the second place. We settled on an off-white colored ledger stone for the edge of the spa and the wall where the scuppers are.

That was probably the biggest dilemma, trying to figure out if we wanted to do glass tiles along that wall or just leave the stone. The more pictures we looked at on Houzz though we realized we liked how the color of the water was accented with just the ledger stone. We also decided to have the waterline tile the same color as the coping which is travertine. So the only area we have glass tiles now is on the spa spillover.

All in all, pretty different than we had originally set out but I really like what we have decided on.

So a cold front is blowing in today and it doesn't look like the stone guys will be able to work for the next couple days at least. Good thing we're not in a hurry to use this pool anytime soon. I will definitely look forward to using that spa though!

Beautiful choices, I love the glass tile. I think I have a similar idea to yours - I have glass tile on my spa and spillover and travertine coping - matching waterline tile and travertine ledger stone on my spa - have a gander at my build thread if you like but its come out really nice. I also have a geometric - rectangular design.

Oh and I'm giving you a hint now - when it comes time to brush your new plaster, get a corner brush. The square edges and steps are completely impossible to get in with a regular pool brush.

Tile and coping is done! We had some really unfavorable weather around here with lots of rain and overcast days, so I haven't been very motivated to post pictures. They are actually working on starting the decking today and I will post pictures of that later. But for now here are the finished coping and tile pictures.

Now I'm questioning using such little of the blue tile only over the spa spillway. Maybe it will look better once the water is in the pool and kind of matches the blue? I can second-guess every decision in this process easily. It is hard for me to envision what the finished product will look like. I'm envious of people who have that gift. Let me know if you see any glaring issues so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is where I really need some input. We are doing a stamped concrete deck and want to keep with the light color stone look around the pool. These are the samples PB dropped off. We want a little contrast between the coping and decking. My concern if we go too light is that it will be blinding having that much light colored concrete in the backyard. Is that a silly concern or have others experienced that? Lighter would seem to be cooler on the feet in the heat of summer though. Which looks best?

I also like the toffee then bamboo.

I have to say that I really do not like the one on the far right. It does not go at all to me.

The white one could be very pretty but I do have to tell you that it could be very "bright in the full sun or even a full moon. We put white rock in our pool yard. It is VERY bright but we like it so...............

Kim

Y'all are awesome. We went with Bamboo. I thought I was going to have to fight my husband because he really liked the Ivory but I felt it would just be blinding outside (right, kimkats?) and my eyes are so light sensitive anyway. But the more he looked at it, and we had other friends look at it, the more we/he realized the Ivory would be too light and didn't blend that well with the travertine coping. So they will start pouring the deck tomorrow. Hoping we can go look at WetEdge finishes this weekend. We need to make a decision!

Well, deck was poured and stamped yesterday. Stain and shark grip tomorrow. Not sure what I feel about it.

This seam look crooked to you?

Didn't stamp hard enough here?

Wonky expansion joint

When we selected stamped concrete for our deck, I didn't take into account all the expansion joints.

EC391A80-17DC-4A26-B85B-CD228667330E_zpszgmdlatz.jpg

Pool guy is laid up in the hospital so his assistant (also an experienced PB) came out to look at it today. Said once we color it, the joints won't be as noticeable. But he said due to the nature of our soil, we have to have those joints and it breaks up the look of the stamp. I wish that would have been brought to our attention beforehand. We might have gone with a different deck. Just kind of a let down today :(

I completely understand and empathize with how you are feeling. The most disappointing part of my project was the decking. The expansion joints are important but I agree with your assessment on the things that you pointed out in your photo. On the positive side, the shape of your pool, the stone choices you made and the tile selection all catch my eye first and keep it. I think, we as the owners are more critical of the flaws that we notice than any visitor will be. Furniture, umbrellas and large pots will do a lot to distract from the deck -Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.