General Cost of the BBB Method

JasonLion said:
With 18,400 gallons, I would expect a pool to use 1.5 to 2.5 quarts of 6% bleach a day. A gallon a day means something is wrong, either algae, or inappropriate CYA level, or both.

My CC test numbers have been at 0 for 2 weeks. CYA is 60. Could it be the heat? Our temps have been in the mid 100s for the same 2 weeks.

ElkPool said:
thepiratemorgan said:
some $0.99 Aldi's bleach

Is that "TUNDRA"?

Does it work as well as Clorox?

I love Aldi's and I'm all about saving money, but I've always used Clorox because it seems like it's what people here recommend.

Yep, Tundra ... never a problem. My FC's come up exactly to what I dose for EVERY TIME. I couldn't possibly tell any FC loss due to poor quality, there are just WAY too many variables (rain, sun, heat, swimmers, whatever) that affect the pool during the day to cause FC loss.

Currently, I am averaging about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of Aldi's Tundra daily in my 14,600 gallon ABG. That's about $0.33 to $0.50 a day (before tax ...LOL). Sure, after hot sunny day I may use more (maybe 2 quarts), but there are the cloudy and cool days where I have nearly no FC loss at all, or at least not lowered enough to dose for it.

i'm using at least 1000 ml of clorox every day and i think it's not boosting my FC enough.. The next night i test it's usually 2.5 ppm FC.. that's after a swim.

There is approx 76,500 litres in the pool.

I cannot get a solid reading with my k2006 test kit for CYA.. I have to fill the entire container to not see the black dot. I'm also having a hard time reading my ph level. I'm assuming it's over 8.0. I did put in some spa care ph down yesterday...

I usually go for a swim with the kids and wife for about 30 mins a day.

Does this seem to be the norm?

Average ambient temp = 26
Average water temp = 24 This doesn't seem to vary with the pool cover on it.

I had to do some conversions on the Pool Calculator to check your numbers but I get that the 1000ml of bleach adds something less than 1.0 ppm FC to your pool. And your CYA is very low, but there is some, so we have to guess at the level, perhaps 20 ppm, maybe 10. At 20 ppm CYA you want to always be above 2.0 ppm FC. If it is getting to 2.5 ppm after a swim and then you add that dose of chlorine to get it to maybe 3.4 ppm and the next day it is 2.5 ppm, then you seem to be at a stable point.

Ordinarily we might suggest to raise the CYA to 30 ppm, but if you keep the pool mostly covered, then the sun is not much of an issue in chlorine loss. In your case that just gets the CYA value into a range that it can be read more easily and you are still in the range where it is easy to see your FC level using the OTO type test. To do that, you would want to only add enough stabilizer to add perhaps 10 ppm, then wait a week or two to see what you are able to test. But really, the difference between CYA 10 (FC 1 - 4) and CYA 30 (FC 2 - 6) is not much and given the numbers you have now, that does not matter.

So, after looking at these numbers, I'd say you are just fine where you are now (but do wait for a pro to weigh in on that). Adding a bit more bleach won't hurt. Your concern may be to always be aware of sudden chlorine consumption that might indicate algae growing on the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.