Gas Line Shock

I install 1000's of feet of gas line a year.Use 1 1/2 PE[yellow poly] and dig the trench.I dig in rock conditions often.It is hard work but with a good trencher with at least 16hp you should be able to get it dug.Dig at 20" min.Check with a rental yard and see if they have a ditch witch rt16 or rt20 for rent...it will dig it..your local wholesale plumbing house should have the PE and the meter risers and your all set..cost should be under 500 total

I install 1000's of feet of gas line a year.Use 1 1/2 PE[yellow poly] and dig the trench.I dig in rock conditions often.It is hard work but with a good trencher with at least 16hp you should be able to get it dug.Dig at 20" min.Check with a rental yard and see if they have a ditch witch rt16 or rt20 for rent...it will dig it..your local wholesale plumbing house should have the PE and the meter risers and your all set..cost should be under 500 total

When I say "rock", I don't mean rocky soil. I mean solid rock. Maybe this is not the best comparison, but to dig a fence post hole, 1 about a foot deep by 1 foot in diameter takes about 15-30 minutes with a chipping hammer ( I watched our fence guy install our cedar fence years ago). To trench is a 180' trench at 20" depth will literally take 2-3 days.

I have to build the outdoor kitchen so I don't want to spend time doing the gas line.

With an attic run of 100 ft. 20 up, 50 over, 20 up. with 6 fittings and a regulator with good access in the attic (standing up is no problem except when close to the eaves) what's the labor with 1 1/2 black pipe?

I costed out the materials ~$1200. Two quotes for this have been 4000 and 4200 and one stated it is a two day job. Not sure if that means 1 day + 1 hour or what...

You are getting estimates from what I assume are professional plumbers, that most likely have workmans comp ins, liability ins, professional damages insurance. How are they supposed to make a living. Those three insurance premiums are probably 15k a year as a minimum. I mean I feel for you but jeez buy the materials and do it yourself. Pay the pro to hook it up then.

I built houses for twenty years and can't count the number of times I heard someone say "I don't want that job so I'm going to bid it so high I won't get it". It seemed especially common when everyone was busy. Perhaps between the rock and the tight attic conditions you have one of those jobs.

Looks to me like you're between a rock and a hard place. Ha ha ha. Sorry but I couldn't resist.

If I really didn't want the job I would be high. Only a few times have I gotten a go ahead to do the job.

We just wen through this for running a gas line to an outdoor fireplace and to an outdoor BBQ.

The fireplace line was ran directly off the meter about 100' while the BBQ was off a stub out we already had on the house, about 15'. Total was right around $1600.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.