Gas Heater size for a 24 foot round 54" height AGP

Those heaters are $900ish online new w/ warranty. I wouldn't pay more that $300 used for one.

I'm gonna bet hes being foreclosed on. Unless the new owner told them to get rid of the pool.

so if I avoid this one for now... what are the recognized better brands? I'm doing some research now.. I would expect that Rheem/Raypak would be a fine brand... but what about Hayward, Pentair Jandy Minimax and Legacy models??
Any good site recommendations for good buys? Thanks Again! Dan

I know alot is said about lower pump HP due to flow constraints... but is it necessary to maintain a higher HP pump for use with a heater? Is more force requried to keep the water moving through the filter, heater and chlorinator?
the unit they are quoting me at the moment is 1.5HP and 100SQ ft... I plan to ask them for smaller HP pump and larger Cartridge filter but thought I would check this one to be certain.

Thanks
Dan

Bama Rambler said:
You won't need a higher hp pump just because you add a heater in all but extreme circumstances.

Ditto, especially on a AGP where the pump and filter are just a few feet from the pool :goodjob:

Hate to say it, but a 1.5hp pump w/ 100sq ft filter is a classic case of a oversized pump and small filter. A 24ft round is still a 13k gal pool.

dmanb2b said:
Bama Rambler said:
Hate to say it, but a 1.5hp pump w/ 100sq ft filter is a classic case of a oversized pump and small filter. A 24ft round is still a 13k gal pool.

Considering a 1/3 hp pump would be more than sufficient for this pool (They are out there). It's easier to find a 1/2 hp though. We use 1/2hp on pools 2X the size of this one with no side effects to speak of.

racket said:
dmanb2b said:
Bama Rambler said:

Considering a 1/3 hp pump would be more than sufficient for this pool (They are out there). It's easier to find a 1/2 hp though. We use 1/2hp on pools 2X the size of this one with no side effects to speak of.

No doubt...my 0.5hp is full rated and more than enough, if not too much pump, and I think if the OP is looking at what the local pool store has to offer, the best they'll find is a 3/4 hp uprated. The problem most AGP owners get convinced into doing is buying the pump/filter combos that are prepackaged, which are typically over powered, yet have horrible flow rates, due to small filters. My neighbor has a 1.5hp uprated pump and the tiniest Proline DE filter and he to this day does not believe me when I tell him my set-up, which is still not as efficient as possible. For a few extra bucks, the 3/4 or 1hp 2 speed would be a best bet and run it on low for filtration (maybe 1/8hp), then just use high speed for vacuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreeed and I will lobby hard for a better combo before I sign the papers... they will be flexible if they know I'm about to sign Im sure... so what do you guys think about heater brands as mentioned above?

Hayward makes fine product. Heaters are generally the same. It's some electronics, a burner, and a heat exchanger. If you get good service on one over the other in your area, go with that one. Lots of Hayward stuff on the east coast. If the builder or service guy is a warrenty station for a certain brand, you most likely will get good service.

Take what these industry guys say with a grain of salt sometimes when it comes to equipment. Its a ford/chevy type thing. They all have their favorite brands and what they install...well thats what they recommend. You really cant go wrong with any of the major brands.

bk406 said:
Hayward makes fine product. Heaters are generally the same. It's some electronics, a burner, and a heat exchanger. If you get good service on one over the other in your area, go with that one. Lots of Hayward stuff on the east coast. If the builder or service guy is a warrenty station for a certain brand, you most likely will get good service.

Take what these industry guys say with a grain of salt sometimes when it comes to equipment. Its a ford/chevy type thing. They all have their favorite brands and what they install...well thats what they recommend. You really cant go wrong with any of the major brands.

I installed a hayward 400k heater as a try me from them. The noise was so loud during combustion, that I could hear it 3 doors down. Needless to say that free heater cost me money when I had to rip it out, and put in a master temp. We had the rep on site, to verify that everything was copacetic with the installation, so that wasn't and issue.

The reason I don't like Hayward is it seems poorly engineered, and they seem to use cheaper, more fragile plastics than their competitors.

bk406 said:
"Take what these industry guys say with a grain of salt sometimes when it comes to equipment. "

Yeah what do the industry guys know? They act like they know something about what they do for a living.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.