Gas Chlorine?

Yeah.. but they I never had the pallet for blackened diesel sauce they were served in. No amount of IPA could wash away the aftertaste ;) 🐖🍺
You would be surprised. I had a big company BBQ. The caterer poured on the charcoal starter on the briquettes, and then immediately put on the burgers. Those burgers were bad. And no amount of cheap beer made them taste good... an IPA might have made a difference...

With the Halon systems, yeah they told us to hold our breath and get the **** out as fast as possible. You could drop within a minute or two. And yes in both cases it is due to oxygen displacement.
Well partly...not just oxygen gets depleted.
Halon itself is not usually used in sufficient quantities to displace enough oxygen to be dangerous. It works by disrupting the chemical reaction of the fire, one of the four ways of extinguishing fires. As opposed to CO2 flood systems, which work by displacing enough oxygen to starve the fire of such, which means it’ll also starve you of oxygen.

Now if halon discharges due to an active fire there’s a bunch of nasty gasses produced from the heat of the fire which are completely unhealthy, as discussed, but it’s not the lack of oxygen that would get you, nor the halon itself.

I suppose. I wish I was like everyone else and didn't work harder in 2020 and 2021. Anyone want to guess how many times I have been in my pool this year? (Oh, but I sure have maintained it!) And yeah I brought up Halon.. and didn't get technical enough. Can't even generalize about the irrelevant stuff here anymore! :)

But yeah.. noting like a bunch of geeks like me arguing about the small stuff. I love it actually.

I've worked around liquid nitrogen a lot.. it's amazing how fast that can hit toxic levels in a confined space too.....

Nitrogen is not toxic.

I guess, the point that RS wanted to make is, that boiling liquid nitrogen can quickly create dangerous levels of nitrogen gas, decreasing the oxygen concentration in a confined space. At room temperature, 1L of liquid nitrogen will eventually turn into about 700L of nitrogen gas. In that sense, it is toxic - whether you die by lack of oxygen or actual poisoning is bit of a technicality. The other danger is blocked overpressure valves, particularly in combination with failing insulation of a tank - if the overpressure created by a boiling liquid can't get released, a tank can eventually explode.

At Uni, I used to work with liquid nitrogen. The one golden rule we had (I am sure, that working with liquid nitrogen in a corporate environment would involve many more rules...) was to never ever be in an elevator together with a tank of liquid nitrogen (or other cryogenic liquids). If that elevator get's stuck, you're in serious trouble.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I am working on our quantum computer, we need to use a Helium-3/Helium-4 mix in the dilution refrigerators used to cool the qubits down to about 15 millikelvin ( -459.643 degrees fahrenheit).

Sometimes, we will convert the helium-4 into a superfluid Bose-Einstein condensate.

Last edited:
When I am working on our quantum computer, we need to use a Helium-3/Helium-4 mix in the dilution refrigerators used to cool the qubits down to about 15 millikelvin ( -459.643 degrees fahrenheit).

Sometimes, we will convert the helium-4 into a superfluid Bose-Einstien condensate.

I miss my dilution fridge … nothing is more fun than knowing you’ve created a confined space in your lab colder than the deepest regions of space … and He is way fun to play with …

Just remember, 3He is a scare resource. Aside from the minuscule quantities found on Earth, the only other known source is the Moon. Last time I checked, Elon Musk was charging a hefty price to go to the moon.

Reactions: JamesW

Sometimes, we will convert the helium-4 into a superfluid Bose-Einstien condensate.
Slowing down light and stuff for your fancy computer huh? All the cool kids now are using lasers to cool a cloud of rubidium down to 1 microkelvin these days…. 15 millikelvins.. smh
EDIT: I’m not a Physicist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night…

• Haha
Reactions: drsipe and JamesW
So do you think a Bose-Einstien condensate would work better in my DIY neck cooler scarf than the silca gel I squeezed outta my kids diapers?
Depends on if the diapers were new or used..

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW and mguzzy
Just remember, 3He is a scare resource. Aside from the minuscule quantities found on Earth, the only other known source is the Moon.
That's why I hate to see idiots who release a bunch of helium balloons for no reason.

It wastes a valuable resource and it creates a ridiculous amount of pollution.

It needs to be illegal.

So do you think a Bose-Einstien condensate would work better in my DIY neck cooler scarf than the silca gel I squeezed outta my kids diapers?
Prolly.

Fun fact: The record "depth" for a breathing gas mix was set in a pressure chamber (so not an actual dive), something like the equivalent of 2300 feet. The gas mix used was hydrox, as in hydrogen-oxygen. For obvious reasons, besides in a couple of experiments this mix is not used for breathing gas...

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.