Gap Between Door and BBQ Island

Jun 11, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am getting close to finishing up my BBQ island, just need to finish the stucco and get countertops installed.

When installing my doors/drawers, there is a small gap between the door frame and the wall of the BBQ island (cement board). I think it is because the cement board is not perfectly flat. What would be the best way to fix this (i.e. fill the gap) at this point? At the widest point, the gap is less than 1/4", so its not too large.

IMG_2658.jpg

What about removing the door frame and putting some window/door insulation/sealing strip around the inside border of the frame and cement board? That would make a waterproof seal and then you could use a stucco patch type sealant around the exterior gap it creates to make the transition seamless looking. The interior insulation should act as a good backer rod for the stucco patch to stick to.

What about removing the door frame and putting some window/door insulation/sealing strip around the inside border of the frame and cement board? That would make a waterproof seal and then you could use a stucco patch type sealant around the exterior gap it creates to make the transition seamless looking. The interior insulation should act as a good backer rod for the stucco patch to stick to.

Thanks, the door frame is not actually attached, just put in there for a test fit. The sealing strip makes sense.

Thanks, the door frame is not actually attached, just put in there for a test fit. The sealing strip makes sense.

Oh, that's good. I would definitely try to use a high quality foam sealing strip cut to the door frame perimeter. You can then set the door frame so that it creates a constant width gap all around and then finish off with either a silicone sealant (one that's paintable) or use a stucco patch type sealant. Either way, it should be fairly easy to make a consistent and smooth transition all around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.