Fuse keeps popping after hot tub overfill??? Help?

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
Happy Father's Day!

I'm changing water with Ahh Some and overfilled tub to top of tub to easily get grime off of sides of tub. At some point during this process, the main ruse for the hot tub keeps popping.

Any guess at what happened?

Think water got in somewhere and shortest something? Will it dry out and maybe work soon?

Any ideas for me please?

--Doug

Blowers and ozone are both partly protected by loops high in the spa that can flood if overfilled.
Certain skimmers have an overfill drain that can leak onto equipment.
Pillow anchors are seldom watertight and can leak onto equipment.
Air control valves can leak, and even create a siphon and partly drain a spa, often onto equipment.
Problems look for an excuse in a spa, and cleaning, draining, filling with cold water, leaving the cover open (frequent heat cycles), etc., will frequently be the last straw for various parts, notably the heater or gfci.

I tried the breaker a couple hours after I sent initial message and it turned on. I ran the pump and the breaker popped again. I drained and filled it and every time I turn on the breaker it immediately pops the breaker. I filled the tub from the drains. Any ideas?

It could be faulty and needs replacement. Breakers once tripped multiple times should be replaced.

It could also be faulty wiring, I'd replace the breaker first if you can DIY. If you have a multimeter you can also test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you saying to buy a volt/amp meter and connect one of the amp meters probes to the inside of each prong AND the other probe to the metal on the outside of the motor? What am I looking for and what is this checking?
You are checking for continuity between the power wires and the ground or frame of the motor.

Continuity means that electrical current is leaking to ground.

Sometimes you need a special meter to test for ground current leakage.

You can take the motor to a local motor repair shop if you are not comfortable working on electrical components.

Sorry about the delayed response.

There is a very thick, uncoated copper colored wire that connects on the outside of the main control box and is supposed to be connected to the back of the motor on the pump. It is not connected because the bracket that connects it broke off. (the photo above of the green pump includes the wire that is not connected in the photo)

The other pump that is working also has this wire but it is in fact connected to the back of the motor.

Are you thinking the this is NOT the problem. I have not had a chance to fix it yet.

The problem started when you overfilled the tub, so it is probably related to water getting into the equipment.

The bond wire was already disconnected, so if that was the problem, it would have already been a problem.

You say that the problem goes away if you unplug the pump, so the pump probably has water in the electrical components.

Check for continuity from the power wires to the ground.

This is not safe to do unless you are very experienced with testing things like voltage, current and resistance and working with electricity.

If you are not 100% sure that you can do this safely, get some help from a professional expert.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.