Fun spa level mysteries

Malka

Bronze Supporter
Oct 27, 2020
NYC
trying to help a friend with her indoor spa

she had her indoor spa levels tested at Leslie’s.
FCL 3.23
TCL 4.70
CCL 1.47
pH 7.3
alk 24
hard 10
CYA 5
copper 0.3
iron 0.0
phos 3206

900 gallon indoor glass tiled spa with a lot of marble, about 2 years old.
It was recently emptied and refilled. She used bromine starter and liquid chlorine bleach to startup.
CH: I told her about adding calcium slowly over the next few weeks.

My questions are:
CYA: where could that CYA come from? is it a concern at that level?
Phosphorus: She’s in Westchester county, NY. I looked up her local water and it didn’t mention phosphorus.

Phosphates don't matter, especially for a spa. Ignore them.

The copper of 0.3 is more concerning.

I would want to see a complete list of the chemicals that have been added to the water.

Have your friend join so she can answer questions and tell her to get her own test kit.

We will not advise on water chemistry based on pool store tests.

Reactions: Malka

I would want to see a complete list of the chemicals that have been added to the water.

Have your friend join so she can answer questions and tell her to get her own test kit.

She has her own test kit, but not for metals. I thought that was a good use of free leslie’s testing. 🤷‍♀️

When she first got started, I went to her place and taught her how to use her Taylor k-2005. She uses her k-1000 3 times a week. I made her a personalized chart from pool math data. She knows what to add if something is off. She has a floater, so things stay pretty level.

I’m not sure she’s going to be able to do the metals test correctly. I‘m going to have to go to westchester, aren’t I?

I’m not sure she’s going to be able to do the metals test correctly. I‘m going to have to go to westchester, aren’t I?
Metals test needs to be done by a Pool Store.

They are pool store tests. Nothing can be relied upon.

The most economical way of testing for metals in your pool water is take it to a Pool Store and have them test it.

Taylor has the K-1716 - Iron Test Kit that sells for around $100.

Taylor Technologies also has the K-1264 Commercial (uses Midget comparators), Copper, 0.2-3.0 ppm/Iron, 0-2.0 ppm that sells for around $150.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.