Full week of slamming and not much progress Pics included.

I think I may get boo-ed, because conventional wisdom is that sand rarely needs to be changed... and normally I agree.

But, I personally would want to begin my own history with a pool with new sand, that I knew was the right kind, and so I knew that the filter was filled to the proper level.
For me, I would count it as part of the start-up, repair, and/or overhaul process I'd expect to be required of any appliance or mechanical equipment in a house that I've bought.

Since you have had a history of "slow-to-clear" water, my opinion would be go ahead and replace the sand. You will know it's the right type, that the filter is properly filled, and that the previous owners used sand and not an alternative media & didn't mix any mystery-magic sand/other media hybrid.

Like I said, others have different opinions... I just know what I would do.

Got home today and no change in the water appearance. Was really hoping to come home to something clearer. I will look into the sand replacement tomorrow as I know it has not been done in the 3 years since I've been here. I'm back in "my wife is going to kill me if I don't stop spending money on bleach" mode... I will see how things look in the morning. Pump has been running 24/7 (except for when I did deep clean). There is no debris in the pool. I scrubbed the pool so hard yesterday I'm pretty sure I pulled some muscle I didn't know I had. I'll take a pic in the morning to update. As always, thanks for the help!

Mine got stuck in that stage too. I was passing the 2 overnight OCLT tests, but just could not get the water to clear.

The things that helped me the most were,

I replace the sand, but mine was like concrete in there, and I had to replace my MPV anyway, so I just went ahead and changed the sand too while the lid was off.

I kept a knee high panty hose in my skimmer basket to catch the smaller particles, a skimmer sock will do the same thing.

I vacuumed to waste instead of to filter until I was sure there was nothing lurking on the bottom.

I added the small amounts of DE to my sand filter.

and

LOL I prayed, and I cursed a whole lot (lol just not both at the same time).

19 days, and 76 gallons of 10% liquid shock later, the clouds opened up, the sun was shining on my crystal clear water, and I could hear the choir in the background singing "Hallelujah" (LOL Actually I think it was really all the awesome TFP members that were singing, but I was so glad they were there with me the entire time because I couldn't have done it without them).

Anyway you'll get there very soon. You are so close now. If you've not tried putting a knee high, or skimmer sock, or something in your skimmer basket give that a try because it works very well, and helps to speed up progress.

Here is an article I wrote on it if your interested, and the comments list items that other people use in their's for the same purpose. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-on-the-town-or-a-Winter-hunting-trip-anymore

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night. :)

Since you just cleaned the sand the other day yours is probably fine. Mine just hadn't been changed in years, and was like concrete in there, so I thought while the lid was off that would be a good time to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.

I would just continue to filter with the DE in there, and something in the skimmer basket to catch smaller particles, and see if those 2 things will take care of your issue 1st. You are sooooo close, so hopefully it will be crystal clear soon. Have a wonderful day. :)

You are also using small amounts of DE in your filter too, correct? If not I'd do that first.

If you are already using DE then: After the deep cleaning the other day IF the sand during cleaning had good movement down in there, where the hose was able to easily penetrate it, you didn't feel any major hard lumps that you had to chisel in two, and you were able to deep clean it to the point of the water in there coming back out looked nice and clean, the sand is probably alright.

If there felt like hard caked areas that could be hindering your filtration, or if you couldn't get it entirely clean while deep cleaning, then change it.

Only you can make the ultimate call on that.

If you do decide to change it though be sure, and look on your tank for how much sand your filter will need because it will be more than one bag for sure. Make sure you get Pool Sand because anything other than the right sand can come back into your pool leaving you with another issue to deal with. Have a nice night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh and be careful not overshoot your CYA because you don't want to use more bleach then you been have. Some people will leave it that low during slams, but it's a trade off. Although it takes less chlorine to get to Shock level, it depletes it faster because of the low CYA. I had my CYA during slam right around 30ppm too, and it seemed to be a pretty good number to slam at, then after slam I increased it to 40PPM. So 30-40ppm CYA is perfect for what you're doing.

Boy, I'm beginning to wonder if you don't have a metal problem in your pool water. Have you ever had it checked? This might be the one time to take a sample to a pool store and see what they find. I read another thread on here where one guy went through basically what you're going through and he finally put a sequesterant of some kind in his pool and it cleared up like magic in several HOURS...yes...hours. I will attempt to find it and post it in here.

And the water gods have spoken. Woke up this morning and the water is blue. I can see the drain and all. It still has a little ways to go before it is totally clear but the green tint is gone. I think the pool is alive and has been toying with my emotions.. I guess this weekend I will move on to the loss test and see where we stand. Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions! I'll report back this weekend with test results.

20150821_072254.jpg - Google Drive

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.