Frustration with Pool Depth

Tie a ribbon to a stick and shove it in the ground in the middle of where the pool will be. Keep an eye on it for several days and you will have a pretty good idea where you want the skimmers. Mine is at the north and south ends of the pool, but then the wind, in my case is affected by the surrounding privacy walls.

I live in Cypress, so in the same general part of Texas as you. The winds here are so different all year and depend on the season. You'd have to observe your winds a year to know for sure. I think we get our winds mostly from the fronts that come down usually blowing from the northwest to the southeast. It seems the rest of the time (and possibly the most) our winds come up from the Gulf going from the southeast to the northwest.

My pool is lengthwise going north to south. We have 2 skimmers - one on the NW and one on the SE. They work great, and your returns will push debris to the skimmers. It's just nice if they don't have to fight the prevailing winds. I have 6 returns and glad for each one. I wouldn't have minded having an extra on or near the top step to push debris down the steps. I do have a return on the sun shelf - very glad to have it.

I love the design of your pool!!! It will be great! I think the depths will work out fine for your family. Kids either need constant supervision (so it doesn't matter if it's 6" deep), or they're growing faster than you can blink an eye. As someone else said, it's a very personal decision. Did you mention somewhere if ya'll like to play a lot of water sports? That would be my main reason to get a sports pool. We don't, so we enjoy having our deeper end. If I could have had a larger pool, I would have loved having an even deeper end!

Good luck!
Suz

I spoke to the builder and he let me know that he could cap the heads of any of the affected sprinklers heads for free if I didn't plan on re-routing them. What would be the reason that I would want to re-route the heads if the other parts of the yard that will remain green already have their zones which will remain untouched?

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I live in Cypress, so in the same general part of Texas as you. The winds here are so different all year and depend on the season. You'd have to observe your winds a year to know for sure. I think we get our winds mostly from the fronts that come down usually blowing from the northwest to the southeast. It seems the rest of the time (and possibly the most) our winds come up from the Gulf going from the southeast to the northwest.

My pool is lengthwise going north to south. We have 2 skimmers - one on the NW and one on the SE. They work great, and your returns will push debris to the skimmers. It's just nice if they don't have to fight the prevailing winds. I have 6 returns and glad for each one. I wouldn't have minded having an extra on or near the top step to push debris down the steps. I do have a return on the sun shelf - very glad to have it.

I love the design of your pool!!! It will be great! I think the depths will work out fine for your family. Kids either need constant supervision (so it doesn't matter if it's 6" deep), or they're growing faster than you can blink an eye. As someone else said, it's a very personal decision. Did you mention somewhere if ya'll like to play a lot of water sports? That would be my main reason to get a sports pool. We don't, so we enjoy having our deeper end. If I could have had a larger pool, I would have loved having an even deeper end!

Good luck!
Suz

Thanks for the insight on the returns.....I'd have to find out if the tanning ledge has one. If he'd add a 4th for free, I wonder how much he'd charge for a 5th or 6th, if at all. Our pool, lengthwise, runs NW to SE, but I will have to see which way the winds blow to get a good idea on placement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.