Frustration with my filter...

jimmerz

Jun 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Good morning all. I opened my pool and it looked like a LAKE this year? Cover was on, I closed it clear. Either way, here is where I am at...

After adding liquid chlorine and having it turn from black/green to Blue haze I am starting to get frustrated with my filter. I emptied and cleaned the Fingers made sure all my seals are good and snug and still my pressure goes from about 7psi after a little while (varies but maybe a few hours) to about 14 psi and at 14psi I have VERY LITTLE pressure. I then turn off the pump, bump the fingers and backwash. This will get me a little more time. AM I doing this right? WIll I need to continue bumping and backwashing until my pool gets clear or am I missing something?

its a 24ft above ground pool with a Hayward pump and EC40 Filter. FC-18 CC- 0 CYA 20. I need to bring up my CYA but I am just trying to see the bottom of my pool...

There are leaves in the middle, I can see a circle gathered in the center of my pool that I need to get out. Any additional help is appreciated.

JIM

Nothing clogs up a filter faster than algae. Backwash/clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure. Use a leaf rake to get as much debris out of the pool as you can. And follow this process to kill the algae, SLAM Process.

Yup, completely normal. We're seeing a lot of posts on here from people with the same concern. Not going to same problem, because the filter is working as intended! Keep up with it and it will be done soon. DE filters are VERY efficient.

You can bypass the filter by Recirculating, in order to let the chlorine do its job. That's what I would do for a week-ish when opening my pool. Also, next year open sooner, once the weather is in the 60s/70s. It looks like a lake because you gave the algae a few weeks to grow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.