Frozen Pool... unexpected move.

OH NO Paige! Is it solid ice yet? Okay lets think here:

-Many lights (NOT LED) all all around the pool shining on it. You can use these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayco-8.5-Clamp-Light/14003467 keep them on 24/7 to see if you can at least get the ice to start to melt and give way some.

-heating water and pouring it on the ice?

-hooking hose to the water heater and draining that water on to the ice? (you will need to turn the breaker off to the water heater so you don't burn it out if you do this one)

-blow dryers?

Will add more ideas if any come to me. I really like the clamp light idea but the hard part will be getting bulbs that are not LED as you need them to get warm.

Good luck!

Kim:kim:

-

So long story short, I leave the pool up during the winter. We have a pretty unexpected move that needs to happen in the next 6 weeks, but the pool is frozen! Any ideas how to thaw it safely? We rent so the pool has to be taken down when we leave.

-Paige

A bunch of Ice melt broadcast onto the surface of it may break it up.
Maybe put a cover over the pool and place a torpedo heater one the edge blowing under the tarp to trap the heat but be careful to not catch the tarp on fire.

High temp Friday is supposed to be 51 with a low of 37. Whatever you do, Friday and Saturday are the days to do it.

You won't need hot water, just use the water from the hose to cut the ice. Let the pool overflow. You'll be replacing cold water with relatively warm water. I clean out cattle tanks that way when the heater fails even if it's well below freezing.

In Joplin MO I bet the ice isn't too thick at all, I bet less than an inch. I'd break a hole in the ice and start siphoning out the water, a big pool hose will drain it fast. The ice will break up when the water isn't supporting it and can be scooped out.

Be careful folding that pool up in the cold weather, that vinyl gets stiff and more prone to cracking.

Not as worried about the liner, I was hoping to replace next year... just mostly with moving it! You guys rock.

I went out and lifted the cover today, its NOT solid. Thank God. It does have quiet a bit of ice in it already. Took the cover off hopefully the sun will melt some. We're planning to do it Friday before it drops to 6 for a low over the weekend! I'll keep you updated!

If not thick, you could drill holes close to one another in an area. Use largest bit you have, and put holes say 1" apart, and make a square or circle, say 12-18", away from the wall. Once done, break that piece out with a hammer. You should be able to then break up the ice. Just be careful near edges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.