From clear to green in 30 minutes

HOF

Apr 25, 2013
Hello,
It's been a few years since I've needed to come back here for help, but Im not sure what I am currently dealing with. Up to this point this year my pool has been clear. Last Saturday (June 24th) I noticed a bit of cloudiness. That afternoon I brought my chlorine level up to around 16 (CYA is 30). By the evening, the cloudiness was gone and back to clear. Here is where something must have went wrong. The next morning we left for vacation. Knowing I would have no one to watch the pool, I turned off the filter figuring I would deal with any algae bloom when I got back. We returned yesterday (July 1st) and I was surprised to see that my pool was still crystal clear. I turned on the filter. I figured my chlorine was probably low, if not gone (should have tested), so I added two gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine to my pool (27,000 gallons) to get up near "shock level". 30 minutes later, I notice my pool is now clear and green. Tested Chlorine at 16. My initial thought was algae. But the water is clear, and it is not consuming chlorine quickly. Then I thought maybe just dirty water from the filter and lines, but I haven't noticed any visual change since. I know I messed up by keeping my equipment off with water that had high chlorine levels (didn't think of it, until it was too late), so I'm thinking that maybe it caused some damage somewhere resulting in this green water. I've had metal issues before, but when I had chlorine levels high, they would stain my liner and steps. I currently have no staining and chlorine is near 15, so I'm not sure if it's metals. For now, I plan on waiting until chlorine levels are normal and then test PH & ALK (should have done first) Anybody have any ideas as to what the green water is from? Thanks for any help!

Could be traces of Iron. I see in your post history that you had staining before. If the pH rose too high, it will start precipitating out and tint the water. Bleach is also high pH. As it breaks down it goes pH neutral, but you did just add a couple gallons of lye to the pool.

Layer some paper towels in the skimmer and see if they start turning orange brown like A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.

Thank you. I will try that. My staining issues from before never got better, so a couple years ago I replaced the liner, and got new water. Never had the issue again after that. Not sure if that changes how you think of this particular issue.

Even more confused now. I went out to vac and clean, and I noticed some very small amounts of algae growing along the edges of my steps. Is it possible that the green water is just algae and it didn't show itself until I turned my filter back on after 6 days? Is there any chance an algae bloom occurred in my filter or lines, while my uncirculated pool water remained clear?

Well...the paper towel test is not looking good. After a few hours the paper towels are now an orangish brown. Looks like probably metals are present. Last time this happened I needed to replace the water. I'm just not sure what caused it, and if new water will also turn green because maybe my equipment somewhere is the issue. I've never taken apart my sand filter. Are there components inside that maybe corroded and is the root cause?

Well...the paper towel test is not looking good. After a few hours the paper towels are now an orangish brown. Looks like probably metals are present. Last time this happened I needed to replace the water. I'm just not sure what caused it, and if new water will also turn green because maybe my equipment somewhere is the issue. I've never taken apart my sand filter. Are there components inside that maybe corroded and is the root cause?
ACtually, dirty towels are good. They mean you are physically removing Iron from the water.

If you've got algae, go ahead and SLAM. The high FC might shake out some more Iron that you can strain out or vacuum up and be rid of it.

Thanks Richard. I left a white towel in the skimmer overnight, and this morning the towel is brown and my water almost perfect again!! I'm really surprised at how well that worked. Thanks for the help. Still not sure what caused it. Something must have happened in my filter or lines over that 6 day period of no circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.