Frog @ Ease & Taylor R-0600 FC test

emoses

Jul 10, 2023
Bay Area, CA
I've got a new Bullfrog spa that came with the Frog @ ease system. I may switch to Dichlor/bleach after I run out of the free chemicals I got with the new spa, but for now I'm gonna keep using the Frog.

I get consistently low FC readings, although Frog claims you only need 0.5-1.0 FC with their system. My question is: when I use the taylor daily FC/pH comparator block with the R-0600 reagent, the FC initially tends to read very low, but if I let it sit for 2-3 minutes and look again it reads significantly higher (e.g. it might read lighter than 0.5 initially but look more like 1.5 in a few minutes). Is that expected? Are you supposed to read it immediately and I should disregard the higher measurement?

I understand that the CC measurement isn't particularly meaningful for the frog system but I thought FC should be reasonably accurate.

Welcome to tfp 😊
The oto test is for measuring TC (which is fc+cc in one measurement) up to 5ppm
When you let the oto sit the difference can sometimes be interpreted as cc’s although it’s not real accurate. It’s basically a “do I have any chlorine or not?” kinda test.
Use the fas/dpd test to accurately test for fc & cc separately.
The frog’s type of chlorine can show up as cc’s when testing - this is one of the downsides (because monitoring cc’s is a major part of knowing when to purge & refill) along with the other things that make it frustrating to use like it’s intermittent addition of chlorine.
Here’s a good thread about the system & some of its downfalls. I suggest you follow the proper FC/CYA Levels whether you use the frog 🐸 or not.
If you haven’t already you should purge your new spa with Ahhsome to remove biofilms & ensure a fresh start. New spas can (&often do) have biofilms from being wet tested at the factory then things grow while in route to you. This can make fc demand higher right out of the gate also leading to much frustration.
Here’s the chlorine guide for when you’re ready 👇
Please add your kit & your spa’s details to your signature including any ozone or uv etc. this helps you get the most accurate advice.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.