Ct
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I've don't s lot of research on this site about this system. I have a marquis crown series tub and it came equipped with this set up. I also got 1 years worth of chemicals with my tub so this will give me some good real world experience ls with using this.
I've been using my tub for a little over 3 months and during that time I've had nothing but perfectly clear water. It's been super convenient as well. I use the strips 3 times a week and do a real test every other week. I have been getting 4 weeks per smartclor cartridge and I haven't changed my silver yet. I do use a clarifier weekly and a non chlorine shock, plus an item that breaks down soap scum.
I have to say I don't have a large bather load it's mostly just me using it about 3 times a week for a half hour each time, let's round up and say I use it 2 hours a week so I'm sure this is a factor. The tub is also located in a 3 season gazebo.

This leads me cost, I think this is a big factor as to why a lot of people don't like it, it is costly. But we all pay to much for things that make our lives easier. To me not having to add daily chlorine to my tub is a win, I would either forget or would just be a big inconvenience. This is why I got the swg for my new pool, I like easy. If over the next 9 months (free chemicals) if the tub stays the same way it has been over the last 3 months I will definitely keep using this system.
I just wanted to give my feedback I know many if you will come on here saying specifics as to why it doesn't work but real world experience trumps all imo.

I've don't s lot of research on this site about this system. I have a marquis crown series tub and it came equipped with this set up. I also got 1 years worth of chemicals with my tub so this will give me some good real world experience ls with using this.
I've been using my tub for a little over 3 months and during that time I've had nothing but perfectly clear water. It's been super convenient as well. I use the strips 3 times a week and do a real test every other week. I have been getting 4 weeks per smartclor cartridge and I haven't changed my silver yet. I do use a clarifier weekly and a non chlorine shock, plus an item that breaks down soap scum.
I have to say I don't have a large bather load it's mostly just me using it about 3 times a week for a half hour each time, let's round up and say I use it 2 hours a week so I'm sure this is a factor. The tub is also located in a 3 season gazebo.

This leads me cost, I think this is a big factor as to why a lot of people don't like it, it is costly. But we all pay to much for things that make our lives easier. To me not having to add daily chlorine to my tub is a win, I would either forget or would just be a big inconvenience. This is why I got the swg for my new pool, I like easy. If over the next 9 months (free chemicals) if the tub stays the same way it has been over the last 3 months I will definitely keep using this system.
I just wanted to give my feedback I know many if you will come on here saying specifics as to why it doesn't work but real world experience trumps all imo.
It’s your spa so no worries. But you’re only 3 months in so I’d give it a bit more time. 😉 I suspect you can go three months with zero sanitizer and maybe not notice anything wrong. Seems that most recommend replacing the water 2-3 times a year?

+1. The pool store methods work well at first too. Many, many members like it at first, only for it to go south. I've never tried it, I only know what everyone reported.

Maybe you're the one who it remains great for, and i certainly wish you the best. Keep us posted long term. (y)

It’s your spa so no worries. But you’re only 3 months in so I’d give it a bit more time. 😉 I suspect you can go three months with zero sanitizer and maybe not notice anything wrong. Seems that most recommend replacing the water 2-3 times a year?
You bring up a good point if I'm changing my water every 3 or 4 months and I juat went 3 months no issues ita looks promising...

You bring up a good point if I'm changing my water every 3 or 4 months and I juat went 3 months no issues ita looks promising...
I just mean you could probably do nothing (and spend nothing) and get the same results.

Not everything TFP warns people against is dangerous for pools. Some of the stuff is just a waste of money.

Reactions: ckendalls
I think this is a big factor as to why a lot of people don't like it, it is costly.
Having had a Frog system in my pool, I can say that the problem was the inferior results it provided versus TFPC. The price premium certainly didn't help, nor was it really much more convenient, but the unpleasant looking and feeling water was what actually got me to look for a better option.

You mention the convenience of the system, but have you managed a tub via the TFPC method so you have a comparison?

Having had a Frog system in my pool, I can say that the problem was the inferior results it provided versus TFPC. The price premium certainly didn't help, nor was it really much more convenient, but the unpleasant looking and feeling water was what actually got me to look for a better option.

You mention the convenience of the system, but have you managed a tub via the TFPC method so you have a comparison?
I'm not sure comparing a spa to a pool is a good comparison. You are correct tho I haven't done the forums method, only because I got free chemicals for a year so why would I lol...but having to add chlorine daily or every day doesn't seem fun to me...I will give this a fair review over the next 9 months,, so far I'm having a good experience.

+1. The pool store methods work well at first too. Many, many members like it at first, only for it to go south. I've never tried it, I only know what everyone reported.

Maybe you're the one who it remains great for, and i certainly wish you the best. Keep us posted long term. (y)
I wonder how much is related to cost, I wonder if cost was not a concern if the reviews would be different. I mean we all spend money on things that are overpriced...some get a $10 Starbucks latte everyday (I make my own coffee)
My inspiration of making this thread was because of all the negative comments on this site about this product, I do believe this site has tremendous knowledge but can be biased at times..."there's more than one way to skin a cat"
I will continue to update this thread over the next 9 months if things don't work out everyone can say we told you so hahaha🤪

I wonder if cost was not a concern if the reviews would be different.
Well, you're the one getting it for free while providing a positive review. If getting a product for free factors in any way towards giving said product a good review then what you have is actually promotional material, not an unbiased review.

Well, you're the one getting it for free while providing a positive review. If getting a product for free factors in any way towards giving said product a good review then what you have is actually promotional material, not an unbiased review.
I disagree with this, I'm sharing my experience and saying from the first 3 months of use I would continue to buy this product. I wasn't given it for a good review on a forum on the internet, I have nothing to gain from this besides giving an alternate view for others to see...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You cannot have it both ways, if you believe the multiple negative reviews of this product are partly based upon the premium price (and why shouldn't they be?), then your positive review is based partly upon not having to pay for the product. If you contend that your positive review is not affected by the price you are paying then you cannot accuse other reviews of being affected by the price they pay.

So which is it?

You cannot have it both ways, if you believe the multiple negative reviews of this product are partly based upon the premium price (and why shouldn't they be?), then your positive review is based partly upon not having to pay for the product. If you contend that your positive review is not affected by the price you are paying then you cannot accuse other reviews of being affected by the price they pay.

So which is it?
I didn't accuse anyone of anything all I'm saying is if price wasn't a concern would reviews be different...im taking anyway that variable out of the equation. Let's talk just about the product does it work? Is it easy? What actual problems where folks having with it? Im saying my water has been perfect for my first 3 months and i would say that if I paid or not. I figured I would get blowback posting this thread because I'm going against the tide but it is what it is lol

all I'm saying is if price wasn't a concern would reviews be different
But price is a concern, except to you who is getting it for free. So if your review is different because price isn't a concern, then you are offering a biased review.

All you are offering is a biased promotion of a product for which you have extremely limited experience with, no reliable water chemistry results to back up its purported success, and nothing with which you can compare it to. You are certainly going against the tide, however the tide here is based upon understanding water chemistry and knowing what you are doing to your water and why you are doing it. That's not a tide to be proud of going against, IMO.

Best of luck with your water.

figured I would get blowback posting this thread because I'm going against the tide
It's one positive experience, short term, against 100 who say otherwise. Possibly 100s.

Again. I'm happy when things go well for folks, I hope it continues. But until you repeat it for an extended time, it doesn't mean much. Then it needs to be repeated for more than just you.

At the moment, the score is 100(s) to 1.

It's one positive experience, short term, against 100 who say otherwise. Possibly 100s.

Again. I'm happy when things go well for folks, I hope it continues. But until you repeat it for an extended time, it doesn't mean much. Then it needs to be repeated for more than just you.

At the moment, the score is 100(s) to 1.
Hey bro this I get and is the type of reasoning that makes sense. But to come on here and say I can't give an honest opinion because I got it for free is hogwash. I also did say I would give it a full year and post my experience here, good or bad. I also would love to have a civil conversation about why folks don't like it, was it cloudy water etc. I only brought up the money aspect because I saw that come up in threads many times as it cost to much. That led me to a conclusion that maybe it does work fine but when factoring in the cost it looses its luster...

Reactions: Newdude
I only brought up the money aspect because I saw that come up in threads many times as it cost to much. That led me to a conclusion that maybe it does work fine but when factoring in the cost it looses its luster...
I don’t think anyone was saying you couldn’t review it, but that you implied (maybe unintentionally) that the negative reviews were only negative because of the high cost, but on the flip side you are posting a “good” review without having to pay for the product. Someone could use the same logic to say your review is only good because it was free, just like you implied the negative reviews were only negative because they weren’t free. I think they were just pointing out a perceived double standard.

I do hope you are successful, but the track record isn’t great. It would be a good experiment to see how long a fresh fill of water lasts without any chlorine or other stuff. (Might want to check the pH I guess to make sure it doesn’t do anything wacky). If you get 3 months of use without a problem, you’ve achieved the same result as the frog system so far and it’s even less of a hassle. 😉

I also used a Frog hot tub system for the first 6 mos with similar use to you and the same procedures. At first it seemed great. I changed the water at 3 mos. I was shocked at how much “scunge” was released using the Ahhsome purge from my first water change after only 3 mos. Since it was my first hot tub experience I figured this may be the norm. The water quality didn’t last as long the 2nd round and I got even more scum Crud with the 2nd water change and had to do a few Ahhsome treatments to get it all. Similar or worse within 6 weeks or less after that so I did a quicker water change and Ahhsome purges and rinses. Since I had been doing my SWG pool myself for a couple years already using the standard TFP methods, I decided to switch to the same for the hot tub but using dichlor or bleach with an occasional MPS non chlorine shock. I also use boric acid like I do in the pool. Much less scunge first time I changed the water and even less or almost none when I change the water at every 3-4 months since and the water always stays clear even at 3-4 mos. Also, a single Awwsome purge gets what little Crud is in the pipes. Its been almost 3 yrs now since I changed to the standard method. BTW, Cost wasn‘t a consideration for me either…. In fact I have a bunch of old leftover Frog system stuff I didn’t want to use after getting some more on what seemed like a deal before I switched…. I guess I should have sold it.

So see what your experience is going forward and how it holds up. But I would recommend that you do something like an Ahhsome purge or two and rinses when you change water to see what comes out unless you don’t want to find out… For me the water change process and goop I got was much much more onerous with the Frog system than it is now. Now I don’t feel like I have to use the Awwesome purge everytime.

Overall, hot tub water sanitation maintenance is less stable than a SWG pool. But when you learn what works with bather load etc. it more routine and automatic. I use squeeze bottle “shot dispensers“ for bleach or acid and know how much, Dichlor, CaCl and acid to get balanced ASAP when I change the water. When we are gone for extended periods I use trichlor in a float and
i might quick switch the water if CYA gets high with Trichlor. I don’t really have to test as often as I do and when I water change its easier now. I was a career microbiologist/biochemist and I hate not knowing what is going on chemistry-wise or brewing and growing beneath the surface . YMMV.

Reactions: Superblue72
I also would love to have a civil conversation about why folks don't like it, was it cloudy water etc.
Search away, it's all there. There may not be a bunch of previous users around in the slow season.

I don't think cost will be a factor for the overwhelming majority. If they had the money to buy a premier tub, and pay the increased electric bill, they aren't rubbing two pennies together.

Saving money upon ditching the frog would however be something everyone would appreciate after the fact.

Reactions: Bperry
I also used a Frog hot tub system for the first 6 mos with similar use to you and the same procedures. At first it seemed great. I changed the water at 3 mos. I was shocked at how much “scunge” was released using the Ahhsome purge from my first water change after only 3 mos. Since it was my first hot tub experience I figured this may be the norm. The water quality didn’t last as long the 2nd round and I got even more scum Crud with the 2nd water change and had to do a few Ahhsome treatments to get it all. Similar or worse within 6 weeks or less after that so I did a quicker water change and Ahhsome purges and rinses. Since I had been doing my SWG pool myself for a couple years already using the standard TFP methods, I decided to switch to the same for the hot tub but using dichlor or bleach with an occasional MPS non chlorine shock. I also use boric acid like I do in the pool. Much less scunge first time I changed the water and even less or almost none when I change the water at every 3-4 months since and the water always stays clear even at 3-4 mos. Also, a single Awwsome purge gets what little Crud is in the pipes. Its been almost 3 yrs now since I changed to the standard method. BTW, Cost wasn‘t a consideration for me either…. In fact I have a bunch of old leftover Frog system stuff I didn’t want to use after getting some more on what seemed like a deal before I switched…. I guess I should have sold it.

So see what your experience is going forward and how it holds up. But I would recommend that you do something like an Ahhsome purge or two and rinses when you change water to see what comes out unless you don’t want to find out… For me the water change process and goop I got was much much more onerous with the Frog system than it is now. Now I don’t feel like I have to use the Awwesome purge everytime.

Overall, hot tub water sanitation maintenance is less stable than a SWG pool. But when you learn what works with bather load etc. it more routine and automatic. I use squeeze bottle “shot dispensers“ for bleach or acid and know how much, Dichlor, CaCl and acid to get balanced ASAP when I change the water. When we are gone for extended periods I use trichlor in a float and
i might quick switch the water if CYA gets high with Trichlor. I don’t really have to test as often as I do and when I water change its easier now. I was a career microbiologist/biochemist and I hate not knowing what is going on chemistry-wise or brewing and growing beneath the surface . YMMV.
Hmm this is interesting, so do you think the first purge didn't get all the stuff out and thats what contributed to the poor water quality afterwards. You would think if you made it 3 months cleaned the pipes and now drain and refill with fresh water why couldn't the same results be repeated every 3 months...I plan on doing my ahhsome purge on Sunday so I'll see what comes out....🤮. I'll report back my results.

Superblue,

When I see "civil conversation" that worries me. History has taught us that "civil conversation" often leads to arguing and from there to someone being banned,

I am all for learning new things but TFP's long-standing tenant is we are NOT an arguing forum. We teach TFP methods ONLY primarily because it is what we REALLY know and we REALLY know they work. Lord knows, that's often complicated enough

If you find someone who wants to discuss the merits of your methods, that's fine but please take it to PM (conversations). Some may see that as closed minded but we think of it as tried and true...........it keeps us the friendliest forum on the net!. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.