Fresh fill and water has green tint

I would not worry about the water color if your water chemistry is good.

Go swim when it stops raining.

I’ve made a few posts recently about my pool having green tint water right from the spighot. I did some research and the town water company adds a few things to treat the water, one of them being calciquest. Quick google search says it’s “it is manufactured with the highest quality phosphates for sequestration control”

I’ve rigged up some home made filter consisting of socks stuffed with polyfill. I can squeeze them out and get some brown water. I’m seeing ZERO difference in the water color though.

Will adding one of jacks magic stuff remove the green color from the water? I know it won’t remove the iron but will it clear the color?

It’s an intex 4400gal 15x48” pool with an intex 2500gph filter and an intex salt water system.

Current levels are fc-15, cya-70, ph-7.5 and salt-3400ppm. Water it clear but green tinted.
The jacks magic may hide the color for a while if it is caused by metals but you have to keep using it or color comes back. But as said above, if you have no metals in the water (still would be good to get water directly tested for metals) and the rest of the water chemistry is good, just leave it and swim.

I get what everyone’s saying not to worry but the water looks unappealing. I have 2 make shift filters going almost 24 hours a day with double socks stuffed with poly. When I squeeze them out brown water comes out but it’s painfully slow process that I doubt at this rate will be done by labor day. Labor Day weekend is the last “official” pool weekend here on Long Island, after that it goes back on the shed. Both my neighbors pools are sparkly blue and that’s how mine always looked except this year.

Anyhow, I contacted jacks and they recommended the magic purple stuff. I’ll give that a shot. I just want the green color gone

Reactions: jesse-99
You only have a few options to remove the iron (if you're not considering draining).

• Filter out the iron using Polyfill. This can ONLY be done when the water is already green (and the iron is in suspension). This can take 1-14 days depending on how much iron, how much filtering you're doing, how long you run your pumps, etc.
  • Keep the iron in solution using a sequestrant like Jack's Blue (if non-salt water), or Jack's Purple (if salt water), and keep up on your maintenance dosing (important!!!). This "hides" the iron problem but will change your water color from green back to blue pretty quickly.
    • You can have some success at getting iron out of the water when it's in solution using two methods (this is my own opinion, other opinions may vary or disagree)
      • Add Jack's Filter Fiber into your cartridge filter, which can help filter out the sequestered metals
      • Use a CuLator 4.0 in your filter pump and Skimmer Basket to help filter out the sequestered metals --- note, this process is NOT instant and can takes 3 weeks or so to get the iron out, contact time is what's important, so basically, how much running your pump each day
HTH

The jacks magic purple is coming tomorrow. Like I said, I just want the color gone at this point. I stopped the sock/poly filtering as it wasn’t doing anything noticeable. I do have a culator in the cartridge and it has been slowly getting an iron color but im not expecting much from it.

I talked to the people @ jacks. They recommended the purple stuff and also the filter fiber stuff AND lowering my chlorine down to 5ppm and lowering the cya to 50ppm. Cya is currently around 70 and im not draining water to lower it. I’ll let the chlorine come down to lower but safe levels to see if the purple stuff works.

Reactions: jesse-99
You'll need about 3 bottles initially as your starting dose with the Purple stuff. Then your weekly maintenance. once dumped in your pool you should notice within 24-36 hours a substantial change in the color. Keeping your FC lower helps so the sequestrant lasts longer, but obviously we know lower FC also means less buffer for algae so, it's fine line to walk.

EDIT: Sorry disregard how many bottles I said above, I thought your pool was 27k gallons but I accidentally read someone elses signature, not yours.! (how many gallons is yours?)

Last edited:
I only skimmed this thread but your issue is dissolved iron in your pool water. Have you considered a whole house water softener or do you have one?.........that's the best solution.

If not, the green you see is the iron particles that have precipitated out of your water.........most always because the pH is too high.

Before you go much further, did you post a complete set of test results back in the thread? If not could you do that? Like this

pH - xx
TA - xxx
FC - xx
CC - xx
CYA - xx

That will give us a complete picture of your pool water and we can start getting that iron out of your pool. It will involve NONE of Jack's stuff.

I suggest you stop "trying" different things hoping for good luck. It doesn't work like that. There are some errors in the advice above.

Post all your numbers, especially pH and we can start clearing the pool, I believe. You will be using the polyfill. keep what's left

Last edited:
I have the same problem with iron. Here is the “nuclear” option if youre able to bypass your filter and vac to waste. ;)

Test results as of today:
Fc-11
Cc-0
Cya-70
Ph-7.5
Salt-3400
Ta-not sure have to check

I have an intex 2500 cartridge filter, no waste option.

The poly fill was always clean. Only thing that got some brown out when i squeezed into a bucket was a double sock rigged up filter. Gave up on this as I was seeing zero difference other than my electric bill

Pool is an intex 15x48 4400 gallon.

Remember, the green tint water came out of the hose this way and the water company adds chlorine, ph additive and calciquest.

I have an intex 2500 cartridge filter, no waste option.
You mention that you have a spare intex 1500 pump. You could use that (without a filter) to circulate the floc. And then put the return end down the drain to vacuum out the floc and precipitated iron when its fallen to the bottom of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I'm not certain what it is if its green BEFORE you even added any chlorine? (usually when there's iron it only goes green/brown after adding chlorine) So if you fill your bathtub up, the water is green as well?

No tub water isn’t green. It’s only noticeable in the pool once it gets a foot or so filled. The water comes from the water company with chlorine in it already. I should try testing it tomorrow see how much? And there’s also that calciquest additive which I believe is what’s making it so difficult to filter out.

I’ve had this pool 5 years and this is the first time I’ve seen this.

No tub water isn’t green. It’s only noticeable in the pool once it gets a foot or so filled. The water comes from the water company with chlorine in it already. I should try testing it tomorrow see how much? And there’s also that calciquest additive which I believe is what’s making it so difficult to filter out.

I’ve had this pool 5 years and this is the first time I’ve seen this.
Have you considered that your liner may be stained or faded which causes the water to appear green?

Update: It’s definitely changing to a better color. I’m just not sure if it was the jacks magic purple I added yesterday or the fact that I haven’t added chlorine since Tuesday. It was 16ppm Tuesday and I let it come down to 9ppm as of this morning. We went on vacation last weekend and I set the salt water to be on 4 hours a day so I didn’t come home to a swamp.

I been running my spare 1500 intex filter with rigged up sock/poly filter and squeezing out brown water.

I only added half the bottle of jacks. Might try adding the rest and see what happens?

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.