Fresh fill and water has green tint

Stang Guy

Jun 20, 2016
Long Island, NY
Just filled up my above ground pool. Not new to pool maintence but this is the first time I’ve filled up fresh water and it has a green tint to it. I’m guessing it’s some sort of metal in the tap water? I live in New York and we just had that nasty Canadian fire smoke in the air, could that had gotten into the towns water supply? It’s not algae as I just filled it today. It’s. 15x48” intex pool and it will be swg. Thanks

That’s what I was thinking just wasn’t sure if I needed an additive to clear it. Hoping not to add anything extra besides the basics. I’ll keep the filter going all night and let the salt dissolve. I’ll throw in some liquid chlorine for now then turn on the intex swg to boost mode tomorrow once all dissolved. Thanks

Don’t jump so fast to putting “additives” in the water.

Tap water can look greenish until you get chlorine and other chemicals in it. Get your chemicals within the recommended range and give it a few days to see how it looks.

I just wanted to update this post. Been almost a week now and it still has that green tint to it. Water is clear. Hasn’t gotten worse. Chemical levels are good if anything chlorine is higher than necessary.
Cya about 70ppm
Chlorine 13ppm.
I’m using an intex swg.

Any more ideas?

Here’s a picture of what it looks like. Just a green tint to the water, but it’s clear. No brown rust or anything. I found a “sock method” on YouTube im going to try. Basically you double or triple a sock and zip tie it to the pool return outlet. I don’t want to get into building a poly fill contraption so let’s see if this works.

I filled my intex 15x48 up last weekend and the water had a green tint to it that got worse as the salt was poured in and the swg started making chlorine. I drained it, refilled it and it was slightly better but again turned to a green tiny once salt and chlorine were in it.

I added sea klear metal klear and it seemed to help a little bit still has a green tint to to it. I am not sure if it’s iron or copper. It was filled up from my house which is from town water supply not a well or anything like that. I’ve had this pool for years and never had this issue.

Any ideas? I may try adding a few socks to the return port and see what happens. I’ve been keeping the pump on 24hrs a day. It’s an intex 2500 cartridge. Also have an intex 15000 gal swg

I filled my intex 15x48 up last weekend and the water had a green tint to it that got worse as the salt was poured in and the swg started making chlorine. I drained it, refilled it and it was slightly better but again turned to a green tiny once salt and chlorine were in it.

I added sea klear metal klear and it seemed to help a little bit still has a green tint to to it. I am not sure if it’s iron or copper. It was filled up from my house which is from town water supply not a well or anything like that. I’ve had this pool for years and never had this issue.

Any ideas? I may try adding a few socks to the return port and see what happens. I’ve been keeping the pump on 24hrs a day. It’s an intex 2500 cartridge. Also have an intex 15000 gal swg

Would be good to get the water tested for iron or copper. I wonder if adding some chlorine to a bucket of the water and see how fast it turns green would work as a metals confirmation?

Any ideas how to fix this? There’s no staining on the liner. Water is very clear just a green tint to it. I’ve attached a photo I took today. I noticed my salt chlorinator was having trouble making chlorine so I added a bottle of liquid chlorine to shock level which is 28ppm. Waiting on my salt tester, maybe my salt level is a litte low and that’s why it’s struggling to make chlorine. Regardless, still trying to get the metal green tint out, any help?

Levels are:
Chlorine- 6ppm
Cya-70ppm
Ph- about 7

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 25

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any ideas how to fix this? There’s no staining on the liner. Water is very clear just a green tint to it. I’ve attached a photo I took today. I noticed my salt chlorinator was having trouble making chlorine so I added a bottle of liquid chlorine to shock level which is 28ppm. Waiting on my salt tester, maybe my salt level is a litte low and that’s why it’s struggling to make chlorine. Regardless, still trying to get the metal green tint out, any help?

Levels are:
Chlorine- 6ppm
Cya-70ppm
Ph- about 7
If there’s copper the only way to remove it is to replace the water. Some people report tilting out iron use poly fill in the skimmer.

I decided to try one of those culator packs that remove metals. Threw it in last night in the skimmer ran the pump continuasly. Checked today and it has a slight iron color to it according to the color chart it came with.

So what I decided to do today was rig up a filter system. I used a submersible pump with 2 socks at the end and I’ll run that and check tomorrow. If it doesn’t do anything I will drain and refill again and run a filter on the end of the garden hose as I’m filling. Lucky this week isn’t pool weather so not a big dead if I have to drain it.

I’m also wondering if the metal remover solution I added (sea klear) is eating up chlorine. I noticed yesterday the salt generator having a tough time making chlorine which it hasn’t so far.

Attached it a picture of the second refill last weekend straight out of the spigot no chlorine, salt or anything.

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpeg
    IMG_4049.jpeg
    568.7 KB · Views: 4
I decided to try one of those culator packs that remove metals. Threw it in last night in the skimmer ran the pump continuasly. Checked today and it has a slight iron color to it according to the color chart it came with.

So what I decided to do today was rig up a filter system. I used a submersible pump with 2 socks at the end and I’ll run that and check tomorrow. If it doesn’t do anything I will drain and refill again and run a filter on the end of the garden hose as I’m filling. Lucky this week isn’t pool weather so not a big dead if I have to drain it.

I’m also wondering if the metal remover solution I added (sea klear) is eating up chlorine. I noticed yesterday the salt generator having a tough time making chlorine which it hasn’t so far.

Attached it a picture of the second refill last weekend straight out of the spigot no chlorine, salt or anything.
If you refilled the whole thing there won’t be any copper in the water unless you added it. Might be some iron if it comes from a well. Those metal sequestrants doesn’t actually remove anything, just keeps it dissolved in the water as long as you keep adding it, but it’ll wear off eventually. Haven’t ever heard of the Culator doing anything except lightening peoples wallets.

The salt water chlorine generator won’t increase the chlorine levels very fast so you’ll need to get it up to the appropriate level with chlorinating liquids and use the SWCG to just maintain that level. What are your current water test results?

The salt generator when I first hooked it
Up 2 weeks ago worked crazy fast. Got it up to 12ppm in less than a day. Once I added the metal remover stuff it wasn’t doing it near as fast. Made about 5ppm in a day and struggled to keep up.

Water comes from the town water company, no well or anything.

Levels as of today:
Fc-20
Cya-70
Salt- waiting on test kit today.
Ph- low 7s.

I spiked the chlorine up to shock level yesterday just to see what would happen. No chsnge.

I’ll see what happens with the rigged up filter I did. If not ill drain/refill for a 3rd time but put a filter on the end of the hose.

The salt generator when I first hooked it
Up 2 weeks ago worked crazy fast. Got it up to 12ppm in less than a day. Once I added the metal remover stuff it wasn’t doing it near as fast. Made about 5ppm in a day and struggled to keep up.

Water comes from the town water company, no well or anything.

Levels as of today:
Fc-20
Cya-70
Salt- waiting on test kit today.
Ph- low 7s.

I spiked the chlorine up to shock level yesterday just to see what would happen. No chsnge.

I’ll see what happens with the rigged up filter I did. If not ill drain/refill for a 3rd time but put a filter on the end of the hose.
Why not just go get the water tested for metals at the pool store? Then you’ll know if draining or filtering is needed. Just don’t buy anything from them. If adding lots of chlorine like that didn’t cause metals to precipitate outlet then it would seem you don’t have a metal problem. Maybe I’m not following the problem.

I’m on my 3rd drain/refill in 2 weeks and I’m getting green tinted water straight from the spigot. This is treated water from the town water company. I have no idea what they put in it.

I’ve been doing the polyfll since yesterday and no change at all. I put the chlorine to 5ppm, cya is 40.

There are no pool store chemicals in it, just borax to bump the ph up along with cya in the sock and straight liquid chlorine.

I have an intex swg but I have not put the salt in yet. I’ve already wasted 6 bags of salt so far refilling 3x. It’s a 4400 gal intex 15x48. Never had this issue before in 5 years with this pool.

Please help me figure this mess out. Water is clear but green tinted. Nothing is working so far. I tried sea klear metal klear on the 2nd fill, it maybe helped a little but I noticed my fc useage going crazy with it in. So I drained it a 3rd time and here it is in its current state. There are no stains on the liner at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
So I did some research on the water company’s website. They add sodium hypochlorite, caustic soda to raise ph AND calciquest (phosphate compound). I looked this up and it’s a sequestrant which must be why i cannot filter it out. I guess I’ll have to wait for it to break down then maybe I’ll be able to polyfill it?

So I did some research on the water company that supply’s the neighborhoods water. They list what chemicals they use to treat the water. One of them was ‘calciquest’. Googled it and found out it’s a sequestrant which explains why it’s been so difficult to get the iron out. I have 3 filters going- 1 is a submersible pump with a double sock stuffed with poly fill, 2 is the polyfill bucket running off my spare intex 1500 pump, 3 rd is my intex 2500 going to the intex swg.

When I squeeze the sock out into a white bucket you can see brown water coming out. Gonna be a SLOW process, hopefully the chlorine breaks down the sequestrant to make the iron easier to filter.

Levels today: fc-15, cya 70, salt 3400

Reactions: Bperry
So I did some research on the water company that supply’s the neighborhoods water. They list what chemicals they use to treat the water. One of them was ‘calciquest’. Googled it and found out it’s a sequestrant which explains why it’s been so difficult to get the iron out. I have 3 filters going- 1 is a submersible pump with a double sock stuffed with poly fill, 2 is the polyfill bucket running off my spare intex 1500 pump, 3 rd is my intex 2500 going to the intex swg.

When I squeeze the sock out into a white bucket you can see brown water coming out. Gonna be a SLOW process, hopefully the chlorine breaks down the sequestrant to make the iron easier to filter.

Levels today: fc-15, cya 70, salt 3400
Chlorine will break down sequestrant.

I’ve made a few posts recently about my pool having green tint water right from the spighot. I did some research and the town water company adds a few things to treat the water, one of them being calciquest. Quick google search says it’s “it is manufactured with the highest quality phosphates for sequestration control”

I’ve rigged up some home made filter consisting of socks stuffed with polyfill. I can squeeze them out and get some brown water. I’m seeing ZERO difference in the water color though.

Will adding one of jacks magic stuff remove the green color from the water? I know it won’t remove the iron but will it clear the color?

It’s an intex 4400gal 15x48” pool with an intex 2500gph filter and an intex salt water system.

Current levels are fc-15, cya-70, ph-7.5 and salt-3400ppm. Water it clear but green tinted.

Attachments

• IMG_4072.jpeg
    IMG_4072.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.