Freezing Temps - What to do

JarCar

Mar 23, 2017
Katy, TX
I live in Katy, Tx. The forecasts are getting close to freezing at night so I’m wondering what I need to do in order to prep for freezing temperatures?

I’ve been maintaining my pool the same way I did fit the summer (because we use the spa), so what measures should I take to ensure no burst pipes? Or anything else I need to worry about? I also Jane weeping rocks and a slide if that adds to measures.

Thanks. This is our first winter with the pool. Sorry if this a previously discussed subject

Nothing. It needs to be below freezing for a long time to start freezing the pool water. My water didn't freeze when we had temps in single digits for a day or two.

Hi!
I have a feature wall with 3 scuppers and an attached spa with a negative edge. We close our scuppers for the winter (pool company just came this week to blow out the lines on Wednesday), but we keep the pool and spa open. Our pump has a freeze protection setting which kicks on when it is below 41 degrees. The pump cycles between the pool and the spa every 30 minutes, keeping the water moving in the pipes. Last year we didn’t have any issues and the pool water never got below freezing-it got close but always warmed up a few degrees once it was daylight and the sun was shining.

Your pump probably has a similar feature. You might think about closing the slide since it is so elevated, but I’m not sure how cold you get in Katy.
Hope this helps.

Yes, it will be fine also, my PVC plumbing is also above ground and uninsulated. Yes, your pump has freeze protectjon built in and will run as necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.