Freeze protection

jcaluori

Oct 31, 2023
Southport NC
Our PC has set up our freeze protection in the omnilogic for 38 degrees. I feel that is high . I lowered it to 35 degrees..what is a good air temp to set for freeze protection. I still feel I can go to 33 or 34 as water doesn't freeze till 32 degrees
Thanks john

John,

The air temp that the automation sees is not all that accurate.. I suspect that is why it comes on at 38, just to make sure..

That said, it takes a while for anything to actually freeze, so I don't see any issues lowering it to 32 or 33 degrees.

My pumps run 24/7, so I don't worry about freeze control at all. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jcaluori
Ever see ice on the ground in one spot and not another? Ever see the signs warning bridges ice up before roads? Temperature that ice forms is not perfectly distributed. Your equipment and valves may be experiencing a difference temperature then the air temperature sensor in whatever system you have.

Neither your PC or us know your local environment. If you feel safe lowering where freeze protection begins running then go for it.

Once ice begins forming running the pump will not clear it. Freeze protection needs to turn on before any ice formation. It is up to you how close you want to cut it.

Reactions: Bperry and jcaluori
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.