Freeze Protection question

Nov 11, 2013
Pocasset, Oklahoma
Hello All! I've got a freeze protection question I was hoping to find some help with. I've done a search but with no success. I've got all Pentair equipment, variable speed pump and the Easytouch control system. Regarding freeze protection, I understand it kicks on at 36 degrees and alternates between pool and spa mode every 15 minutes for circulation. I live in Central Oklahoma, winters aren't terrible here, and intend to use the freeze protection to protect the plumbing. It kicked in overnight and ran until midmorning. When I looked at the system in my phone app, I noticed that the heater was on when the spa was on. I turned the temp on the heater setting down to 40 degrees to stop the heater from running. However, I don't think the heater needs to be on at all when the freeze protection is activated and it's just circulating. Is there a way to remove the heater from the freeze protection list? I've looked in the manual as well but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any help sure is appreciated!

You can deselect FREEZE protect on the POOL and SPA modes. That's what I did. I then created a slow speed run (~1100 RPM) on one of my open AUX circuits (AUX 7) and called it SLOW. I then enabled FREEZE protect just on that AUX circuit and so it only runs the main pump at slow speed when the weather turns cold. No cycling the SPA/POOL valves. By using an AUX circuit, you avoid the heater and SWG from activating. A heater should never be run when the air temps are that cold.

I don't like the cycling at all because it can cause the SPA to drain incrementally with each cycle.

I just circulate the pool. It’s not ever cold enough here to freeze water. In fact, I could probably do away with freeze protect entirely without ever an issue. It literally takes days of sub-freezing temperatures to freeze water in a PVC pipe. That just doesn’t happen around my neck of the woods.

My first year with a pool and I have the iAqualink that also has freeze protection. But, I am planning on having all of my lines blown out and anti-freeze added to the ones that always have water in them. I had never considered leaving water in all of the equipment. My maintenance company is scheduled to come out next Thursday and winterize the pool. Is there any reason you don't just winterize everything until Spring?

Thanks for replying. Here in Central Oklahoma we only get a couple of deep cold temp's a year. I'd like to be able to use the connected spa during the winter, and winterizing the equipment won't allow me to do so. I've also got a generator that powers the entire house in the event of a power outage. The last time that happened we were able to run the house and pool equipment without issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.