Freeze protect keeps switching to spa mode?

Nov 19, 2014
Austin, TX
I have a Hayward variable with a Hayward controller, can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but recent (2-3 years old). Our pool has a pool and spa on a single heater/unified system, with the spa farthest from the pad and the pool kind of lengthwise in between it and the pad.

My question is whether there's a reason freeze protect seems to keep switching over to spa mode but with no heat? I think it's always done this, and has always kind of confused me.

When the pump runs 100% speed water is returned to the spa and the pool (you can see the output at the jets. At lower speeds I assume this is still the case, but that the force is reduced making it harder to see the return at the spa. The spa, however, cuts out the pool and closes the loop for the spa (to create a heated loop).

So... shouldn't my freeze protect always be in pool mode? Or is there somethint in the way the plumbing and pumps work that I'm not getting? I'm assuming it's either something I'm missing or the guy who did my setup brain farted the freeze protect setting and I should modify the routine...

With this cold snap here in Austin we have some low temps, and while I'm not super concerned (it won't stay cold long enough to cause a catastrophe) I'd like to make sure everything is properly configured for when I don't remember it. :)

Thanks!
Rick

It does that by default so both the pool and spa lines are protected. But it should do that for only part of the cycle and then switch back to pool mode for a cycle there too. The heater won't normally come on because it is not needed for freeze protection.

Also, you can usually control what is subjected to freeze protection and what is not via the controller. But I would not disable the spa because you want those lines to be protected too.

Ah, makes sense, I actually discovered the same information by... digging up and pouring through the manual, duh. :)

To your point, it seems there's a "pool and spa" setting for freeze protect that toggles back and forth on 30 min cycles. I think I missed it because it's not visible with the freeze protect configuration settings on my wireless controller. Not sure where that's actually managed, but I guess it's not super important since, you know, I don't need to go messing with it. :)

Thanks for the help!

Rick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.