Free form pool - worth the extra cost ?

I don't know about the pool builder you are talking to, but when I built my pool primary factors in cost were the perimeter measurement, area and depth. Some used volume instead of area, but all used perimeter as one of the factors. That, of course means that for a given area, a long skinny rectangle would be the most expensive shape, and a circle the cheapest. Free form is cheaper than rectangle, since removing corners reduces perimeter. I know I paid extra. By planning two rectangles merging corner to corner we ended up with a lot of perimeter.

Same here. The cost from our PB was based on linear feet of perimeter. There was hardly any difference between a rectangle and similar size free form shape. It's all in the perimeter length.

I also love our free form shape. I grew up with a rectangle pool and there's nothing wrong with them, I just love the look of the free form and how it changes up the look from your average rectangle. We've had so many comments on the shape of our pool, everyone that comes over and first sees it says they love the shape. Gives our back yard a resort feel.

We have a rectangular pool - never even considered a free form pool. The biggest question that came up for us was stairs. I was a "no need" and my wife was "yes, we need." Of course, we got stairs right? Anyway, to me it seems that once everyone is in the pool and enjoying it, the shape is irrelevant - as are the stairs. :D

I have a free form because that's what my wife wanted and, at the time, I agreed was a good idea. Now, after several seasons, I wish we had a more rectangular shape.

First reason - When we went to purchase a solar cover, I had to buy a much bigger (and more expensive) rectangle and then cut it to shape. Tossed about 30% of it into the garbage after cutting. The resulting single shape was unwieldy and had to be cut into two smaller more manageable pieces. Neither of the remaining pieces would work with any sort of roller and had to be folded up by hand. Gave up on the solar cover after very few uses and gave it to a neighbor. Total waste of a couple hundred bucks!

Second reason - Winter mesh cover is a pain to install, remove, fold and store.

That's my 2 cents. Some people love free forms but, I have one and would rather have a rectangle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.