Free Chlorine present and 0 Combined Chlorine?

DrewPool

May 30, 2023
Salem, New Hampshire
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have the Taylor FAS DPD K1515A Free and Combined Chlorine Test kit.

This might be fine but when I measured today, I have 6.5 for Free Chlorine and 0 for Combined Chlorine. I got Zero because on step 5 you are supposed to add 5 drops of R-003 and its supposed to turn pink. After the 5 drops it never turned pink, I added 15 drops and it never turned pink.

I tested three times and got the same readings so if I'm doing it wrong at least I'm consistent. Is having 0 combined chlorine correct or is what that's saying is that I have 6.5 total chlorine and its all free?

Thanks for the help

Clear is what you want. See below from the instructions.....

- Add 5 drops of R-0003 and swirl to mix. If the sample remains clear, your CC level is zero.
- If the sample turns pink again, add R-0871 one drop at a time, swirling constantly and counting the number of drops as you go. Continue adding drops until the color changes to clear. The pink color may become extremely faint before it goes away. Make sure that the sample goes completely clear.
- Multiply the number of drops by 0.5 to get your CC level.

Reactions: DrewPool
Clear is what you want. See below from the instructions.....

- Add 5 drops of R-0003 and swirl to mix. If the sample remains clear, your CC level is zero.
- If the sample turns pink again, add R-0871 one drop at a time, swirling constantly and counting the number of drops as you go. Continue adding drops until the color changes to clear. The pink color may become extremely faint before it goes away. Make sure that the sample goes completely clear.
- Multiply the number of drops by 0.5 to get your CC level.
Awesome, thank you!

I have the instructions in front of me and it just says "Add 5 drops R-0003 DPD Reagent #3. Swirl to mix. Sample will turn pink if combined chlorine is present."

Thanks Again!

Awesome, thank you!

I have the instructions in front of me and it just says "Add 5 drops R-0003 DPD Reagent #3. Swirl to mix. Sample will turn pink if combined chlorine is present."

Thanks Again!
Yep, don’t add any more drops if it doesn’t turn pink. The ideal goal is zero CC.

Reactions: DrewPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.