Fountains/Ponds and Tablets

Alex_H

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2015
Hollywood, FL
Planning to float little (1") Chlorine Tabs in the water features we're setting up to prevent algae blooms with minimal maintenance. Emptying the water every few months if CYA is a problem is no big deal there, but rain/wind should control it. Anything to watch out for or simplify compared to pool chemistry?

One is a SMALL fountain (pre-fab from Home Depot), the other is a custom "pond" of 350 Gallons I'm building. Figure a small quart of bleach should help if it gets bad, but obviously health isn't the same concern as the pool.

I did the same thing (floated pucks) in my small fountains. Over time they will bleach out. The main 'rocks' will look fine, but wherever the water flows will eventually lose some of it's character.

I will try to get some pics and post them later this evening.

I think that using a little bleach now and then might be a better idea as a long term thing.

If the water feature and pond are decorative and no one is going to swim in them, then I would recommend you use algaecide to lower the chlorine required.

I have a waterfall feature near my fire pit and this is what I do -

1. Fill and balance the water. Drop the alkalinity to less than 50ppm and then add 200ppm borates. At that level, borates act as an algaecide.

2. Add a startup dose of polyquat algaecide and add a maintenance dose every 2-3weeks.

3. Add and maintain an FC level of 1.5ppm using dichlor. Switch to bleach once the amount added increases the CYA to 30ppm.

I have also played with copper sulfate algaecide and got similar results. The only problem with that is the water here is very hard and the pH likes to increase all the time even with low TA and heavy borate levels. So I was worried I'd get copper staining over time. Polyquat works well. My waterfall is nothing but a pump and a pipe with two basins and a rock path for the water to flow in. It has no filtration. To filter debris from the water, I'll run the pump for 24 hours with a SlimeBag attached to the output pipe to capture debris. This works fairly well and I usually only have to do it once or twice a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time I did algaecide, the thing looked soapy all the time, but it was years ago and expensive fountain algaecide. I'll take a look at what you're recommended. Thanks!

In terms of bleaching out the main water feature: I'd rather it be in continual use and eventually bleached out than not in use because of algae and burnt out motor, but I hear you. Going to try JoyfulNoise's regime.

I assume "SlimeBag" is a name brand given the capitalization, I'll take a look.

Thanks!

Many "expensive" water feature algaecides are actually cheap linear quat algaecides that are easily oxidized by chlorine and those oxidation by-products lead to foaming.

Polyquat, on the other hand, is much more resistant to chlorine and it's by products do not foam. That is why TFP recommends only polyquat be used in pools if an algaecide is needed

Copper sulfate will work as an algaecide and will not cause foaming but you typically need to have good pH control (pH < 7.5) to keep it from scaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said expensive, not high quality. Expensive small one from big box store. I know a lot more now.

When I follow the methods here, my pool is perfect and easy. When I get lazy and don't, I have issues. The problem is me, not the system, so I want a fountain system that works for me, not for theoretical me.

Theoretical me does everything perfect, he's also taller, thinner, and more successful than me. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.