Found a kitten in my skimmer

smccull said:
4cb6e09d-b3e6-3207.jpg
4cb6e09d-b418-3d02.jpg
A couple summers ago I went out back to put trash in our garbage can and kept hearing a faint cry - looked and looked for it - finally crawled up on fence and saw a tiny kitten between my neighbors fence and her garden shed - her back yard was locked and she was gone. It was super hot that morning but even if I scaled the fence I couldn't reach it because of the tight space between the fence and shed. Finally used pool scoop and he crawled in the net - we figure momma cat was moving them and he got left behind. He wasn't very old and vet wasn't sure he would live - same thing fed him with dropper and used heating pad - now he's a spoiled rotten cat!

Now that is one cute kitty! :) So glad you were able to rescue him.

The best cats are the ones that find you. So glad your little meowler pulled through! Always gut-wrenching when some creature gets into the pool and can't get out. I discovered my niece's Pug sitting in the middle of my solar blanket one day, in a puddle of water, too scared to move to the edge or bark. So glad she was small enough not to have gone under, and big enough to stay out of the skimmer.

Anybody use a motion sensor alarm with good results?

I actually adapted the safety turtle for my pups. My husband and I bought our house last year and it was our first with a pool. The lady we bought from told us that her dog drowned in the pool the year before. We have 3 dogs, 2 who are scared to death of the water, and I found the safety turtle. Its meant for kids to wear around their wrists, but I cut the band and made it shorter and now all 3 have the safety turtle on their collars 24/7. The alarm is centrally located in the house and since the dogs are never outside unless one of us is home...if the alarm goes off, someone has taken a tumble into the pool. It's already saved our 2 non swimmers at least once each. I'm still trying to figure out why my "water dogs", a lab mix and a Golden, can't swim...but thats for another forum! Lol.
so if you're looking for a way to prevent your pup from a terrible tragedy...the safety turtle has worked wonderfully for us!

thanks csigirl.....I'll look into it for my own dog. She currently climbs out on the ladder---freaky deaky to watch---but as she gets older I can see it's getting tougher for her and all that wet fur to make the climb.

Every time I have guest dogs they always want to see if they can walk on the pool cover, so I also would like something that stays in the pool for these unexpected swimmers. We do have the odd stray cat as well.......

stephanie4136 said:
Flotsam said:
... but something kept telling me go check the pool NOW. Guess I know why!
I agree - SKIMMER it is !! :goodjob:

You have been CHOSEN !!! :party: :cheers: It's beyond your locus of control. :hammer:

Cats CHOOSE those who will cater to their (purr-ceived) needs! :cat: SUBMIT !! :whip:

We have 2 - Kira and Loosey (try and guess how Loosey got her name ... ) :mrgreen:

She's getting spoiled already! :thequeen:
stephanie - how about an update on lil Skimmer? :poke: :cat:

I was doing a search for "ladder" and don't know why, but came across this thread. What a wonderful story! I am so glad to hear you rescued this kitty. Very smart thinking on your part to warm her up.

How is she doing?

We have a couple of "adopted" cats as well. The first adopted us, we adopted her step-brother. The third, we recently found hiding in the fork of a tree out back - with a spotted owl keeping close eye on the tiny morsel. We've coaxed him/her up to the garage finally, and are feeding as much as he'll eat. He looks a lot like the early pic posted by smccull. Hoping to keep him around as an outside cat to help with the mice, etc.

There are two refrigerator magnets that we picked up that seem to say it all...
"In ancient times, cats were worshipped as Gods... Mine has not forgotten this."
and
"Everything tastes better with cat hair in it."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.