Foam under intex ultra frame

Sounds all good to me.
My best shot at your questions. I don't know about laying the foam board so it won't be seen other than cut it very close to pool size and then cover it with landscaping material.

1) I will place/lay pavers at each vertical upright (forgive me if my terminology is incorrect!) - any tricks to this aside from using a transit?
As long as they're level you're good. To be sure they won't crack, use 4" thick pavers.
2) Based on the paver locations (relative to the ground height), I will level the existing ground/add sand as required (I have a few ideas for doing this but again, it's pretty flat already) (how much sand is recommended?)
I'd say not more than an inch. Sand can wash away so you don't want it supporting the pool, just filling in irregularities in the ground. Pavers should be level with the ground ideally, or just 1/2" or so above to make up for the extruded foam underneath.
5) I will lay a vapor barrier plastic between the ground and the foam (what mil plastic is recommended?)
No idea - I live in the desert.
7) After the foam is laid I will install a tarp or pad (not sure yet if this is necessary)
Most people seem to agree it is not necessary - it will just decompose. I wish I had just set mine on the foam.

Very handy newbie here! I am installing a Doughboy 18' round AG pool in the next few weeks - first one ever. I live in centeral Wisconsin. The pool will be up year round (with winter care, of course). I am trying to figure out if you all are laying the foam and assembling the walls on top of the foam (or cutting holes for the uprights) or if you are putting up the walls and cutting the foam to fit inside. It seems to me that the later (putting up the walls and cutting the foam to fit inside) would be the best way to go so you don't see the foam when all is said and done - especially is you're using a self-adhesive cove. Is this correct? I used a sod cutter to remove all my sod and will be incorporating my pool into my landscaping with a partial wrap-around deck. The virgin soil is a sandy topsoil with no rocks (the few that are there will be removed). Here is what I was thinking (comments welcome!):

Again - I have already removed all sod - the area the pool is going is relatively flat

1) I will place/lay pavers at each vertical upright (forgive me if my terminology is incorrect!) - any tricks to this aside from using a transit?
2) Based on the paver locations (relative to the ground height), I will level the existing ground/add sand as required (I have a few ideas for doing this but again, it's pretty flat already) (how much sand is recommended?)
3) I will build the wall/frame
4) I will lay out foam panels in my yard, draw the radius of the inside pool on the foam, and pre-cut them all (and number them)
5) I will lay a vapor barrier plastic between the ground and the foam (what mil plastic is recommended?)
6) With the frame built, vapor barrier down and foam pre-cut, I will lay the foam inside the pool walls (foam will cover any exposed pavers) (foam will decrease the "depth" of the pool)
7) After the foam is laid I will install a tarp or pad (not sure yet if this is necessary)
8) After the pad I will install the self-adhesive cove
9) Then liner, etc....

Does it sound like I am on the right track? Keep in mind that I do not have the pool install instructions yet. Mainly, I am just trying to determine the best way to lay the foam board without it being seen when the pool is complete (there will be landscaping on 3 sides of the pool and deck on 1 side)

Thanks all!!
Hi, I used the click clack mats under my ultra frame pool. Works like magic, soft and comfortable. The kids klick knack mats. Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are all the layers you have down? How is the 3/4 inch working out for you? I really want to use foam but it's so expensive, I'm wondering how much of a difference is felt between 2 inch down to 3/4 inch.

3/4". I don't think 2" would be a good idea. I put the tarp that came with it under the foam but wish I hadn't since the edges that stick out have completely rotted away.

ended up using this > R-Tech 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3.85 Insulating Sheathing-320821 - The Home Depot used some extreme hvac silver foil tape for the silver side and tough and wide gorrila duct tape for t he white side put the silver side down and it feels amazing on feet in pool never been in a pool with something so cushy for feet above or below ground pool really appreciate the tips from here still filling my 32*16 ultra frame from well but should be set to go tomorrow evening :) used this for pavers for frame and pool filter pump > Oldcastle 16 in. x 16 in. White Concrete Step Stone-12052415 - The Home Depot some pics i need to take pics of the pavers under frame as those were added after these pics but its looking real good :) Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.