Foam base

palz25

May 8, 2024
Hello,
I have seen several forums about using foam as a base for the above ground pool. I have a cement pad and was going to use the foam under my soft side 24x12 Intex pool.
Question is what thickness is needed, is 3/4 better than 1/2 inch or does it matter? And if I use foam do I need to put something under the leg supports to to make it level with the 3/4 or 1/2 inch foam?

Thank you!

Is your cement pad level and will the whole pool including supports fit on it? If so, there is no need to install anything under the legs. You could even cut out the foam around the legs so they rest directly on the cement.

I would use the thicker padding, to protect the bottom of the pool and provide a more comfortable foot experience. Of course, all those tons of water pressing down will probably make it feel like it is directly on cement!

I would go with foam rubber if possible. I would think that insulation boards would compress to very firm / solid feel. I used a bunch of the anti fatigue mats under ours and it does have a nice slight soft cushion feel. I was going to get the interlocking foam rubber for weight rooms in 1/2 thickness, but got a great deal on the mats.

Reactions: kellyfair
The insulation boards remain soft feeling. We used the foil backed foam - I think either 1" or 1 1/2". Definitely did not use the 2".

A solid foot landing will compress and "dent" the foam. I was pretty upset after the first dent but got over it and eventually there were enough little indentations that it seemed quite natural. I definitely enjoyed the soft feel underfoot. I'd give it your best guess in terms of how much you think the foam will compress under the weight of the water and cut in some lumber supports to lift the legs to match. We're currently disassembling our 12' to upgrade so when I get to that part I'll snap a pic and share it with you.