Flying ants?

Hey all, last night a thunderstorm came upon us rather quickly. We were kind of in a rush to get out of he pool and left 3 of those swim ways rafts in the pool overnight. This morning more storms came through and now it has cleared up. The rafts were covered with those big ants with wings. Just wondering if other folks in the south have this? Was it because of the storms or is it just something that happens overnight. I would hate to be swimming late at night and get swarmed by these things. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Hi there, we live in south carolina too and have had the same problem , not sure if they are coming from the tree line outside the fence or the new thujas we planted inside the fence next to the pool. But they are driving us crazy and they bite. I sprayed an all natural bug repellent around on saturday and it seemed to help but it did rain the other day and yesterday they were awful .I was trying to make sure they were flying ants and not termites , I have the pest company that we use coming next week so hopefully we can get rid of them . This is our first year of having the pool so I dont know if they have been here in previous years or not .

So, I guess this is just something that all of have to deal with. I scooped out thousands (it felt like) today. This is the second time this year and it does appear to happen after a good thunderstorm. In NC.

Oh well, at least I have a TFP pool to scoop them out of.... others would like to just have a pool. :cool:

I have them and I started using hair nets last week. I change out the hair net in skimmer every other day and it's full of them. We have fruit trees around our house so I assume they come from those? Our pool is screened in, but there are a couple tears, so I assume they sneak in.

Edit: I am in South Florida

Edit #2: I started putting a hair net in the skimmer by pool pump also now- I found that they were still getting through and coming out my jets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked them up, apparently they are attracted to sunlight. However, if you got them just by a storm, then that can obviously be part of it. I get these ants in my pool just because of it sitting outside all day. Make sure you use a net to get all of them out, and be careful as they will come back in your pool while you are swimming, and they do bite/sting. (I’m not sure, but it did feel more like a sting.) I got stung by one of these on my back and on my hand. I have been stung before in a different pool aswell. If there are girls in your family, make sure to inform them to put their hair up, because I find that they will hang out in your hair if you have longer or thicker hair. To avoid these getting in your pool, cover your pool when it isn’t in use, and use it around the time of day that your pool gets more shade.
-Hailey

Step 1
Drop a few tennis balls inside your pool. Flying ants are not good swimmers, and will cling to the surface of the tennis ball to avoid drowning. Six tennis balls are enough for most pools; however, larger pools or heavy ant infestation may require a few more.
Step 2
Scoop the tennis balls out with a pool skimmer. The fine mesh catches any ants that fall off the balls as you lift them out of the water.
Step 3
Add a quart of vinegar to a 5 gallon bucket, and drizzle in a few drops of liquid dish soap. Fill the bucket 1/3 of the way full with water, and drop the ant-covered balls in the solution. This solution kills the ants without exposing your family or pets to dangerous chemicals.
Step 4
Poke holes in one long side of an empty plastic bottle, and add a few drops of peppermint oil to the bottle. Screw the lid tightly on the bottle, and float the bottle in the pool with the holes facing up. Flying ants hate the smell of peppermint and will avoid your pool.

Found thousands of the little demons floating/swimming on surface of my inground vinyl this morning!
I searched for a point of entry to no avail.
It's rained here almost everyday for a week with some days having storms which correlates with what most of you have written.
We also have a lot of trees near the pool.

I use skimmer socks regularly and the one this morning had a good many on it but not covered.
Thousands were still on the surface so I skimmed with net. These are not winged ants, simply small ants.

I read other posts recommending Talstar granules in yard and linear quat to sink dead ants and bugs.
I don't know what linear quat is but the post said don't use with SWG due to foaming.
I think I'll try the tennis balls because there are no chemicals used.
Grandkids can't swim with these critters :mad:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.