flow increasing when closing a return?

so this one is a puzzler for me. Normally, even with my 2 speed pump on low, my gas heater still gets enough flow to come on. Of course, when my filter gets dirty, the flow diminishes, and the heater switches off.

What I don't understand is that when this happens, I found that by closing some of my returns (specifically a waterfall that flows into the pool), the heater was able to come back on.

That seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn't closing a return, reduce the flow even more and make it less likely for the heater to switch on? Does anyone have an explanation as to why that might be happening?

I think you might be thinking it backwards.

For example if you have low flow on a return jet and put a smaller eyeball on a different jet
it is forcing more pressure to equalize in the other. (we just solved that exact scenario last week for someone that had a weak return jet
in their shallow end)

so blocking a return...that pressure has to go somewhere, so naturally it will come out stronger
on the other.

make sense?

I think you might be thinking it backwards.

For example if you have low flow on a return jet and put a smaller eyeball on a different jet
it is forcing more pressure to equalize in the other. (we just solved that exact scenario last week for someone that had a weak return jet
in their shallow end)

so blocking a return...that pressure has to go somewhere, so naturally it will come out stronger
on the other.

make sense?

Well, the waterfall doesn't have any eyeball, just 2 open pipes pouring over some rocks into the pool. Elevation wise, they are about 2 feet higher than my other returns, could that account for the difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Not if it's a pressure switch instead of a flowmeter.

Is that likely? My heater is a Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm.

Thank you Richard, that seems to explain it. In your opinion, could this be something I should worry about. I mean wouldn't it be possible to have very low flow but adequate pressure, simply by closing most of the returns?

I know the obvious answer is simply not to do that. But I sometimes keep my other returns partially closed so that when I open the waterfall, I get adequate flow even on low speed. Now I'm thinking that if I close the waterfall return and forget to fully open the other ones, I might be introducing a situation that could potentially damage my heater.

Thank you Richard, that seems to explain it. In your opinion, could this be something I should worry about. I mean wouldn't it be possible to have very low flow but adequate pressure, simply by closing most of the returns?

I know the obvious answer is simply not to do that. But I sometimes keep my other returns partially closed so that when I open the waterfall, I get adequate flow even on low speed. Now I'm thinking that if I close the waterfall return and forget to fully open the other ones, I might be introducing a situation that could potentially damage my heater.
If that happened, the high limit switch would kill things. Or the flue temperature switch.

If that happened, the high limit switch would kill things. Or the flue temperature switch.

Ok, that's great to hear. Sounds like they build these things with a fair bit of redundancy. Thanks again for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

But turning it off means that extra pressure has to relieve itself elsewhere.

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that closing the returns would be like adding head to the system, thus reducing the overall flow. I readily admit that I don't fully understand fluid dynamics though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.