Florida in-ground pool enclosure - CYA level?

DV9410

Jan 19, 2024
Naples, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Good day all,
New pool owner, going to take over my pool maintenance from the service that my builder provided for first two months. Service kept the FC around 2-3, added a gallon of muriatic acid once a week, never said if he did anything else.

All of the pool school chem articles make sense to me. My pool enclosure no doubt keeps some of the sun out, the guess is equivalent SPF 20-25.

I’m guessing I shouldn’t start with a high CYA? Maybe start around 20-30 and adjust accordingly with FC levels and SWG time? CH was also running high end, 650-700. Thanks for any tips.

I’m guessing I shouldn’t start with a high CYA? Maybe start around 20-30 and adjust accordingly with FC levels and SWG time?
Start with 40. You may find that you need to run your cell longer, even with the enclosure, and will end up raising it later. Is it in full sun all day?

Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

30 is the minimum for CYA, among other reasons like bather comfort, but also because below 30 it's sketchy at best to read. So you think it's a little over 20 and really it's a 7.

You'll likely find that 30 doesn't cut it in sunny FL, where folks may run a 60 with no cage. But there's no harm in road testing to find the sweet spot.

Pay close attention to the FC while you experiment though, if the CYA is too low for your specific UV demand, FC will get depleted quickly. Possibly in an hour or two. :)