FLOCCULANT HELP URGENT

Ez809

Jun 10, 2023
New jersey
Hello everyone I made the noob mistake after being a new pool owner I have an about 20000 gallon pool. 8 feet on the deep en with a Hayward de filter I added flocc in the skimmer on recirculate but never shocked it prior so the pool is dark green and I can’t see the bottom to vacuum and it’s been a few days and nothing. I’m scared to turn on the filter what should I do please help

I suspect the green is from algae right? If you aren't sure you can post a pic or some water test results. As for the dark water and floc, well, no easy answer. You need to try and remove the floc first. At this point you need to vacuum, probably several times, but you can't see. Scoop and sweep as much as possible to ensure you have removed any larger debris then start the vacuum process. Each time you vacuum you will stir up stuff, so vacuum a little, let it settle, do it again ..... repeat. This will be a pain. :brickwall:

Once you think you've done all you can by removing the floc, you use a proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) to start the SLAM Process to kill and remove algae. Use liquid chlorine to maintain a the proper SLAM FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If any of this sounds confusing, let us know. But you will need one of those test kits for sure.

Sounds like a pain it’s going to be terrible what you think will happen if I start running the de filter on filter now and slam it
DE filters clog up very fast with algae-filled water. Lots of backwashing. That's a given. But if floc hits the grids/fingers, they will get gummed up and be virtually useless. You'll need to replace them.

Also do you think I should brush the bottom of the pool now
You certainly can if you think there may be leaves or other junk down there that needs to be moved around a bit so you can get it with a net. At some point though, you'll need to let it all settle so that you can try to vacuum to waste. I suspect that will be a repetitious pattern for a couples days. :brickwall: Eventually you'll end-up thinking you got all the flic you could and go to filter mode and begin the SLAM Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You certainly can if you think there may be leaves or other junk down there that needs to be moved around a bit so you can get it with a net. At some point though, you'll need to let it all settle so that you can try to vacuum to waste. I suspect that will be a repetitious pattern for a couples days. :brickwall: Eventually you'll end-up thinking you got all the flic you could and go to filter mode and begin the SLAM Process.
Ok thanks what happens when floc goes in the de filter so I can know what to look for incase that happens I appreciate the response’s

what happens when floc goes in the de filter so I can know what to look for incase that happens I appreciate the response’s
I'm sure we could dig-up some pics somewhere, but basically I would suspect the grids would have a gummy coating on them. DE normally coats those grids, but I think the floc would bond to it all.

I think it might be a good idea to start your SLAM immediately...........but do so with the filter on recirculate for maybe 36-48 yours.

Then continue the SLAM but turn your mpv to "filter" and hope for the best by finishing the SLAM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.