FLO error on my heater while the pump is running

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
I got a new Hayward Heatpro electric heat pump and Hayward VSP installed last year. When I went to check on the equipment one morning last week I noticed there was no power to the pump because the breaker was tripped. Switching it back worked fine but the next morning the same thing. Since the the heater has had power at all times so I held off on calling an electrician. The morning after that however, I went to check again and the heater had the FLO error even though the pump was on. The only way i could get the heater to work was to switch the breaker off then back on. This happened three days in a row. The FLO error warning says it means there is no water circulation or there is a defective flow switch. Anyone ever have experience with this problem? Thanks.

So the heater was obviously on and running when the pump shut off which would create the FLO error. Also could indicate a water flow issue where you might have a dirty filter but since it resets with a power reset, I with the first option.

Thanks. I set the heater at 86, some days its hot enough that it is not running at the end of the day but others it is cooler so it is running when the pump goes off at night (I run the pump from 9am to 7pm). Are you saying it is common that in mornings after a cooler day when the pump ran at time of shutoff, it wouldnt work when the pump comes back on. Should it work that way? Am I supposed to turn the heater off before the pump goes off?

Hi,
Did you ever find out what the Flo error was? I have been having the same issue as you. Exactly the same. Turn off breaker and then turn on and heater would work. When the heater reached its desired temp, it would shut or(trip breaker) or it would have a flo error. I run the pump 24/7 and had no flow issues with pressure. When I would do a backwash, things would work fine for a week or so bout then revert back to the same issue. I called a service expert for the heater, he checked all the valves and flo sensors and all showed proper function. He then changed out my GFI breaker and put in a regular one. He said the GFI are know to trip. After the change, I have no issue with breaker tripping, but I still have the Flo problem. However this time, if I turn off breaker and then back on, it does not correct the Flo error. The only other thing I can think of is to switch out the flow sensor.

Hi, that is going back four years so I am trying to remember exactly what happened. For sure, I had a similar issue with the breaker where it would trip often. An electrician came and replaced it and since then it has not tripped. The FLO error does still happen time to time and I have noticed it is when the filter pressure starts to creep up. My equipment is below the pool so I think I am at a disadvantage there as far as water pressure, but the FLO error does go away after backwashing. I have yet to see a FLO error when the pressure is normal. Hope that helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.