Fixing to ditch my Hayward S244s sand filter, for Pentair 160301

Not sure if this is legitimate or not, seen it at Leslie's. Not promoting it, maybe it works no idea...maybe someone here knows.... sounds like you need help with lowering your stabilizer so thought I would post it.
86d60d2da9fe1d19c09239d54b560b76.jpg
50b0e475a8728909f5a4175b6b69017d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was tried last year and it just did not work, 1 person had a very very slight reduction of CYA... We all wished it worked..

My Chlorine was running 8-8.5 so the algae does not seem to be consuming Chlorine (bleach) like it was.
But the filter is still vomitting dirt and silt back into the pool, and plugs up with only 1/3 of the pool vacuumed.
My thinking is that replacing the filter, I can rule it out of the loop.
Plus it will greatly cut down on water exchange, making balance much easier.
Then I can detirmine if I have a plumbing issue or not.

My Chlorine was running 8-8.5 so the algae does not seem to be consuming Chlorine (bleach) like it was.
But the filter is still vomitting dirt and silt back into the pool, and plugs up with only 1/3 of the pool vacuumed.
My thinking is that replacing the filter, I can rule it out of the loop.
Plus it will greatly cut down on water exchange, making balance much easier.
Then I can detirmine if I have a plumbing issue or not.

This has been mentioned several times. You most likely have a damaged lateral in your filter. Fixing that is fairly simple and you wouldn't need to replace your filter. I have the same one you have and my pool is crystal clear so it isn't going to solve your issues. The CC reading should not match your FC and you ideally want CC at 0. If it exceeds .5 you have algae.

This site / method is not about using bleach, borax and baking soda. It is all about knowing your water chemistry and how to maintain / adjust it if needed. As several people have mentioned that requires a good test kit that gives you accurate readings.

If i were in your shoes i would order a test kit and while you wait for it to arrive empty the sand out of your filter and inspect the laterals and replace any damaged ones. Then post a complete set of accurate results and we will steer you in the right direction. The money you save by not replacing your filter will pay for your kit and a good chunk of the bleach / liquid chlorine for the season.

Like a bad penny I'm back.
I successfully replaced the Hayward with the Pentair. (the Hayward S244S was removed undamaged and with all the parts including multiport valve, free to a good home)
Good news is I can vacuum to my hearts content.
Bad news is there does seem to be a leak on the Stairs discharge circuit (but manageable)
still keeping the Chlorine (bleach) above 10 but cloudy and green, I have vacuumed a LOT of algae out now that the new filter is in place.
Will it be useless to SLAM until I fix the leak ?

Also what test kits will I need to properly do a SLAM
I have the Taylor k2006 but I would blow through that pretty quickly
I have 16 oz of CYA reagent coming

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to leave for a few days, but had my wife and daughter keep up with the brushing and vacuuming, and adding 2 gallons of bleach per day.
pool is much more blue, and clearing up.
I cleaned the filters Saturday, got a fair amount of dirt and much algae, Pentair filters washed up very well with the aquacomb.
I will reclean the filter today and maintain vacuuming.
weather is ready for swimming now the pool will be as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.