Fixing a crack in concrete pool

ian81

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Jenison, MI
Pool Size
Hey folks, I am going to be painting my concrete pool in West MI within the next few weeks. I know paint is not recommended and that I should have it plastered, but that’s not an option At the moment, and it’s been 10 years since the pools seen some fresh paint I’m guessing.

So I have a crack. It doesn’t appear to be leaking any water, two years ago I did a horrible job of patching it with some AB epoxy and it appeared to do the job.
100cd31ed2453cdbe856f549df401d08.jpg
ff09fedf8ecff5d175c29facaf03ad95.jpg

I exposed the crack with a chisel, it widened because the AB epoxy was stuck to some. So how should I go about repairing the crack before we paint it? Do I need to grind it out and replace with some hydraulic cement? How deep do I grind? Also The paint is an “old epoxy that hasn’t been used in years” and I’ve been recommended to pressure wash as much off as I can and to use a primer. Is priming a pool a scam or a real thing? I’ve only ever heard of acid washing and tsp.

Thanks TFP, looking forward to some relaxing around the pool once this is done.

If not leaking, use angle grinder to cut dovetail into crack and fill with pool patch or white cement. If only painted with epoxy paint, do tsp, acid wash, tsp (or ramuc cleaner prep) then color coat, no primer required. Primer is only if existing concrete or plaster.

If not leaking, use angle grinder to cut dovetail into crack and fill with pool patch or white cement. If only painted with epoxy paint, do tsp, acid wash, tsp (or ramuc cleaner prep) then color coat, no primer required. Primer is only if existing concrete or plaster.

Thanks, it turns out there a vinyl paint on there, and my guy who was going to help me is dragging his feet, I’m hiring it all out at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.