Fixed My Dolphin

Jul 3, 2014
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey All- I think I have successfully fixed my Dolphin S200 that stopped moving a couple weeks ago. The problem was wear on the spindles of some of the gears in the transmission attached to the drive motor. It got bad enough that the gears would get jammed when the robot transitioned from forwards to backwards. Since you can't get parts for these (at a reasonable price anyway) I Macgyvered my own fix using a little bit of brass tubing. I made a blog post about it with details and pictures that hopefully some of you will find helpful if you are facing the same problem. (Moderators- I hope my link is allowed. It isn't a commercial blog and I have no ads and make no money from it, this just seemed easier than trying to upload all the pictures and instructions here)

Last edited:
Wow - hats off for figuring all that out and doing your own repair. I'm trying to decide between replacing my 10-year-old Kreepy Krauly with a new KK and "upgrading" to a robot. Your experience is making me think twice. Are there robots (or robot brands) that are known for NOT breaking down or needing much maintenance?

Wow - hats off for figuring all that out and doing your own repair. I'm trying to decide between replacing my 10-year-old Kreepy Krauly with a new KK and "upgrading" to a robot. Your experience is making me think twice. Are there robots (or robot brands) that are known for NOT breaking down or needing much maintenance?
I can't personally speak to the reliability of other brands besided Maytronics, but the forum activity here seems to indicate they all are prone to wearing out in 3-5 years. Maybe another brand has more readily available spare parts for DIYers willing to fix them on their own?

Reactions: sdmark and djw
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.