First year with Stenner tank (55 gallon drum)

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I just wanted to update everyone on my first summer with the stenner pump and 55 gallon barrel. I opened the pool on 4/08/17 and purchased 6 gallons of chlorine to get the pool up and going. I have a small 6 gallon container that I used for this, and I will probably used that to end the season by filling it as needed. That way I do not end up with too much chlorine at the end of the season to pump out of the 55 gallon drum. I filled the drum on 4/14/17 with 55 gallons of 12% chlorine. The stenner pump and barrel are under my house so it stays cool and dark. My pool has been opened for 18 weeks (126 days) and I have about 1 gallon left in the drum. Pool typically uses 0.5 gallons per day. In the beginning I was only using 0.25 gallons per day and thru out the summer I have had to add a little more here and there to adjust for the really hot days that caused it to use more chlorine. I am really happy with the results and the chlorine not degrading too much. Going by last year when I closed the pool up in the middle of Oct, I still have about 9 weeks (56 days) left in the season. So I will probably use another 25 gallons of chlorine, or less due to the drop in temps over the next two months. I guess I will be filling the 6 gallon container with one gallon jugs as the company that I bought from only sales in 55 gallons barrels. Maybe next season I can find someone that wants to stock up about 25 gallons and I can split a barrel with them and then buy the additional 55 gallons for myself in the middle of the season. Whats sad is I will pay almost as much for the single 30 gallon jugs as I did for the 55 gallon barrel. Oh well, its still a lot cheaper and better than all the junk the pool stores try to push on you!

You can can leave some in the barrel and leave it there for the winter. When its time to open the pool next season, do a test of the stored bleach on the 6 gallon container. Then you will know how much the chlorine degrades over the winter. Either way you can still add it to your pool, just not as effective or just as salt.

Felipe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.