East Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I've been doing some reading in the forums, but want to be clear on what I need to do during the winter months as far as my IC-60 goes. We live in East Texas, so we don't have super harsh winters. The PB has instructed me a bit on what to do with the plumbing during a freeze, but as far as colder weather but not freezing is there anything I need to be doing with the IC-60, or anything else? I read this in the manual:

"Temperature Sensor: To protect the IntelliChlor SCG from operation and potential damage when the temperature of the pool water falls below 52° F, ±3° F (11° C, ±1.67° C), the temperature sensor switches the IntelliChlor SCG off, illuminates the COLD WATER light and no chlorine will be produced."

I have also seen in some other threads that it will likely not make reliable chlorine under 70-77 degree water. So at what point do I just put it to zero and switch to LC for the winter? Is that what I need to do? Is it fine to leave it inline and continue flowing through it?

Mark,

I live in the DFW area and never remove my SWCG for the winter... but... my pump runs 24/7/365, mostly at 1200 RPM.

I use the SWCG until water temp gets to about 55 degrees and then switch to Liquid Chlorine. I do this as the cell will often not work in the morning, when the water is cold, and then start working again as the water get warmer. I just find it easer to just shut if off and go with the LC. Does not take a lot of LC in the winter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: LSU and Mdragger88
I am farther south than you but I left my SWCG inline all winter. Back in December I switched to LC. I continued to test every several days to ensure FC levels were maintained.
You can remove the SWCG - that is the convenience of the union couplings - and insert a dummy pipe to replace it so you can continue to circulate your pool.
You should be prepared to know how to drain your pump, the heater and the filter if there is persistent freezing weather and there is lost of power to your equipment.

Reactions: LSU and Mdragger88
Mark,

I live in the DFW area and never remove my SWCG for the winter... but... my pump runs 24/7/365, mostly at 1200 RPM.

I use the SWCG until water temp gets to about 55 degrees and then switch to Liquid Chlorine. I do this as the cell will often not work in the morning, when the water is cold, and then start working again as the water get warmer. I just find it easer to just shut if off and go with the LC. Does not take a lot of LC in the winter.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Just a matter of putting it at 0%?

I am farther south than you but I left my SWCG inline all winter. Back in December I switched to LC. I continued to test every several days to ensure FC levels were maintained.
You can remove the SWCG - that is the convenience of the union couplings - and insert a dummy pipe to replace it so you can continue to circulate your pool.
You should be prepared to know how to drain your pump, the heater and the filter if there is persistent freezing weather and there is lost of power to your equipment.
Yes, I have talked to the PB when we had it all installed on how to drain the pump, and the filter during a freeze, etc. Question on that. If we do freeze and lose power, I just drain all that and once power returns and temps get better just prime the pump, refill, etc and start circulating again?

Just a matter of putting it at 0%
Yes. Or remove the SWG power cord from the intelicenter.
If we do freeze and lose power, I just drain all that and once power returns and temps get better just prime the pump, refill, etc and start circulating again?
Yup. Pull all the drain plugs (I'd open the SWG also just to make sure it was empty). Afterwards replace the drain plugs, fill the pump basket to the pipe opening and fire her up.

Reactions: LSU
Yes, I have talked to the PB when we had it all installed on how to drain the pump, and the filter during a freeze, etc. Question on that. If we do freeze and lose power, I just drain all that and once power returns and temps get better just prime the pump, refill, etc and start circulating again?
Yes. However, if you do drain your pump, etc then go to the panel and turn off all circuit breakers to the pool. You do not want any thing coming on when power restored.
Be sure to lube your orings on the plugs before you replace them as you want them to seal and not leak.
Once your pump restarts you will keep the filter relief valve (on top) open to release all air and close it once water starts to spit out.

Reactions: Newdude and LSU
Yes. However, if you do drain your pump, etc then go to the panel and turn off all circuit breakers to the pool. You do not want any thing coming on when power restored.
Be sure to lube your orings on the plugs before you replace them as you want them to seal and not leak.
Once your pump restarts you will keep the filter relief valve (on top) open to release all air and close it once water starts to spit out.
Absolutely! Got it, appreciate it.

Reactions: Newdude
Yes. Or remove the SWG power cord from the intelicenter.

Yup. Pull all the drain plugs (I'd open the SWG also just to make sure it was empty). Afterwards replace the drain plugs, fill the pump basket to the pipe opening and fire her up.
Appreciate it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sounds good, thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.