First Timers in Spring,TX: Proposal Phase

MJLF

Mar 10, 2023
Spring, TX
Hello All,
We are currently in the proposal phase of our first pool. We have gone to 4 builders and as soon as we get our next quote in we will be making a decision on who to move forward with. Any recommendations on things we should do during this initial stage before signing contracts is greatly appreciated. I have gone back to one PB to get a breakout of the pricing and was told that the information cannot be sent to us via email as it is proprietary in nature, and I have another PB that has provided line item pricing for the scope of work. (The lack of transparency is worrisome) We are wanting a SWG for health reasons - so any "do not do this" "make sure you do this" etc. is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Well hello there! Have you ever come to the right place! We LOVE to help build pools! With our FREE help your pool will be the best pool ever!

I have a link for you to get you started:

You are SO right in being worried about the one that will not give you full information! BIG red flag there! Ask them if they will give it to you in person and see what they say then if you want to push them on it.

Make sure to bring any and all offers here. Get ALL model numbers so we can make sure it is right for your pool.

So what kind of pool do you want? Plaster, vinyl? Freeform, rectangle? Diving (8' deep end) or social (5' or less deep)?

Kim :kim:

Reactions: Mdragger88 and MJLF
Salt water *feels* great.... easy on the skin and hair. But while the salt is at a fairly low level to make the chlorine...its still a chlorine pool. People with exzema find the chlorine and salt soothing and not as drying as other types of pools.

Reactions: MJLF
MJLF,

I am a big fan of SWCG pools, but can't think of any health benefits. Tell us more...

We need to know a lot more about what kind of pool you are thinking about building before we can provide much advice.

Thanks,

Jim R.
From what I am gathering - it has to do with the body's absorption of halogens (chlorine, bromine, fluorine) that bioaccumulate and not necessarily the ones your body needs (iodine) to have a healthy thyroid (which I don't have). I have autoimmune diseases so we figured salt water would be better than chlorine, even tho in my extremely limited knowledge a salt water pool seems to also be a chlorinated pool. Just trying to do my due diligence here with chemical exposure.

Before signing anything definitely get quality references of previous builds, talk to the homeowners, & go look at some of the builds in person.
Since the pool boom There have been alot of folks left with no show contractors & 1/2 built pools even though they have paid so be certain to do your due diligence so you don’t join them. It can be intimidating & alot of leg work but for such a large investment it’s worth it.

Reactions: MJLF
Well hello there! Have you ever come to the right place! We LOVE to help build pools! With our FREE help your pool will be the best pool ever!

I have a link for you to get you started:

You are SO right in being worried about the one that will not give you full information! BIG red flag there! Ask them if they will give it to you in person and see what they say then if you want to push them on it.

Make sure to bring any and all offers here. Get ALL model numbers so we can make sure it is right for your pool.

So what kind of pool do you want? Plaster, vinyl? Freeform, rectangle? Diving (8' deep end) or social (5' or less deep)?

Kim :kim:
Thanks for the welcome Kim - and the reference guide!
We are looking at a social geometric pool (rectangular) with a spa and tanning ledge, and an in-floor cleaning system. I am really green over here on all the bells and whistles, but I will most certainly come back with the specifications as we get a clearer picture on what our PB's commercial and technical standpoints are.

From what I am gathering - it has to do with the body's absorption of halogens (chlorine, bromine, fluorine) that bioaccumulate and not necessarily the ones your body needs (iodine) to have a healthy thyroid (which I don't have). I have autoimmune diseases so we figured salt water would be better than chlorine, even tho in my extremely limited knowledge a salt water pool seems to also be a chlorinated pool. Just trying to do my due diligence here with chemical exposure.
Uh.... It *is* a chlorine pool... its just that you've added the device that *makes* the chlorine in situ (same way Clorox makes it for sale on a much, much larger scale). I believe the fear of halogens is a bit unfounded. I've never had a patient with "halogen toxicity".

For the health things, if you follow the
Pool Care Basics we teach & have a properly chlorinated & balanced pool it should have no more of an effect on you than showering does. Whether you go with a swg or not- although I highly recommend it due to its ease. Don’t let anyone talk you into any “alternative sanitizers because chlorine is scary” they are all fraught with problems & most still require chlorine anyway. The TFPC method is to test your own water & add only what your pool needs - nothing more, nothing less. It’s crazy simple compared to all the potions 🧪 other methods would have you adding.

When you get further along - like picking equipment & finishes be sure to post here & every one will help steer you to good options. Do you know how large you want your pool to be?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you get further along - like picking equipment & finishes be sure to post here & every one will help steer you to good options. Do you know how large you want your pool to be?
Thank you @Mdragger88 - we have not specified size to our designers. We have let them evaluate our space and provide their designs and are going from there. So far we have gotten back a 490sqft, 670sqft, and just yesterday a 720sqft which we find quite intimidating... but we are waiting on the full proposal to begin comparing all offers.

Thank you @Mdragger88 - we have not specified size to our designers. We have let them evaluate our space and provide their designs and are going from there. So far we have gotten back a 490sqft, 670sqft, and just yesterday a 720sqft which we find quite intimidating... but we are waiting on the full proposal to begin comparing all offers.
Not sure how that relates to gallons which is what I was aiming for when I mentioned size lol 😂
The reason I asked is because lots of pool builders only have a certain brand or two of equipment they offer & some brands do not offer large enough swg cells for certain sized pools so that may easily effect your decision.
We recommend getting a swg that is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume. So a 20k gal pool would need at least a 40k gallon rated cell (around 1.4#/day of chlorine output) especially in hot, sunny texas with a long swim season.

Not sure how that relates to gallons which is what I was aiming for when I mentioned size lol 😂
The reason I asked is because lots of pool builders only have a certain brand or two of equipment they offer & some brands do not offer large enough swg cells for certain sized pools so that may easily effect your decision.
We recommend getting a swg that is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume. So a 20k gal pool would need at least a 40k gallon rated cell (around 1.4#/day of chlorine output) especially in hot, sunny texas with a long swim season.
😂 well - when I know the answer to that question...I will get back with you! So much to learn, but thank you for asking these obviously important questions.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have autoimmune
My daughter has 2 and they're irrelevant. She'll get rashes from the Waterpark or at a friend house because they're gross and not properly sanitized, not because of her immune system. :ROFLMAO:

Excema type skin issues on the other hand often prefer pools with salt in them. Either liquid chlorine dosed pools that don't get alot of rain and climb to SWG levels (bleach is Sodium Hyperchorite), or SWG pools. I had 3 friends that had several skin issues and would only swim at my house with my SWG pool.

2 of my 3 females have thick hair and they need far less hair products to wrangle the tangles afterwards. When we swam at the neighbors LC pool everyday, our shower was full of swimmers shampoos and the like.

These benefits are GREAT. Don't get me wrong. But they pale in comparison to the ease of operation the SWG brings to the table. Once you learn the system it's like cruise control and you can just enjoy the 9 days it takes to drive across Texas while it maintains your level for you.

Reactions: MJLF and Mdragger88
Hello All,
We are currently in the proposal phase of our first pool. We have gone to 4 builders and as soon as we get our next quote in we will be making a decision on who to move forward with. Any recommendations on things we should do during this initial stage before signing contracts is greatly appreciated. I have gone back to one PB to get a breakout of the pricing and was told that the information cannot be sent to us via email as it is proprietary in nature, and I have another PB that has provided line item pricing for the scope of work. (The lack of transparency is worrisome) We are wanting a SWG for health reasons - so any "do not do this" "make sure you do this" etc. is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
I'm in Cypress/Tomball area. If you're still looking for quotes, I had more than 10 people out here, and settled with Houston Cool Pools of that helps at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.