First Timer!

danglez83

May 6, 2024
Philadelphia, PA
First season with a brand new T40 (40x16) fiberglass pool and spa (salt). I think I have all the cleaning procedures down (including a robot and solar-powered skimmer), but the one thing I find a bit daunting is the whole balancing concept. We just purchased a Taylor Test Kit K-2006C so we can learn how to test, but once the levels come back, it becomes, "ok, now what?" I constantly have the pool's balance on my mind and each of two weeks we have had it opened, we have had the water tested by Leslie's pools. The numbers have come back in good ranges for the most part, but for the numbers that are slightly out of range, the customer service agent said there some nuances for how to proceed since the pool is still new. For example, they didn't want to add certain things just yet based on the differences from week 1 to week 2. I just wish after testing it was as easy as, simply add x of this and y of that and you're good, but it seems like there is more of an art to it - which also seems to complicate things. I am anal and just want to keep the water in the best condition as possible.

the customer service agent said there some nuances for how to proceed since the pool is still new. For example, they didn't want to add certain things just yet based on the differences from week 1 to week 2. I just wish after testing it was as easy as, simply add x of this and y of that and you're good, but it seems like there is more of an art to it - which also seems to complicate things. I am anal and just want to keep the water in the best condition as possible.
Ha Ha...read my Pool Stored thread in my signature. There is no issue or nuance/differences week 1 to week 2 in a fiberglass pool.

Do as @kul indicates, read through the basics and get pool math.

It is pretty simple:
  1. Chlorine is king. Always follow this link to the right, and make sure your FC is right for your CYA. Link-->FC/CYA Levels
  2. Keep your pH in the 7s. When it rises to 8, reduce it to 7.8 or so with Muriatic acid
  3. Keep your TA between 60-80. This will slow your pH rise. If your TA is high, it will come down over time as you lower your pH.
  4. To start, I'd keep your CYA at 50-60 until you learn how to maintain FC, then you can raise to 70...this will extend the life of your SWCG Cell. Use dry chlorine stabilizer to raise CYA. Note, it will degrade slowly over the summer, so you may need to add CYA during the year.
  5. CH doesn't matter in a fiberglass pool, unless you have very high CH fill water. When you get close to 600-800, you might need to replace
  6. Keep your salt in range as recommended by the salt cell manufacturer.
  7. Trust your test kit.
Always use these chemicals:

Do not use these chemicals:

Here is a good guide for when to test.

Post up your numbers, or share your pool math logs and we can help you step by step.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and kul