First time using TFTest Kit - help!

You should lower your pH to around 7.7. If you don't get it done today, do it in the next couple of days at most.

I would suggest you not use the pucks. You will not get CYA as fast as you need it (Why did you just put in 4 lbs...are you using PoolMath to calculate your dosage?) You can save your pucks for later....they don't go bad.

Pucks aren't going to lower the pH enough. And forget the pH minus (Slo & Lo) from pools stores. Get some Muriatic Acid from Lowes. Get the blue label which is 31.45% Baum. That will lower it quickly and within a range they can swim tonight (they can swim in a 8.2 environment by the way, just not ideal level). Keep in mind is may be higher than 8.2 also as that is max level on your test. I'll be back with amount of MA to add for immediate results.....

Edit: Looks like we're all answering at the same time with similar info.

edit 2: Based on your 130 TA and if your pH is "only" 8.2, I am coming out with half a gallon of 31.45% MA to get your pH to 7.5. Now I have no idea how much borates are actually in there, so chances are you will need a touch more being that they are present. But start with 1/2 a jug. Mix it up by brushing. Test 30 minutes later and get another pH reading. This way you won't overshoot to the downside.

Edit # 3: I changed my mind again after re-reading. I still believe you will need about 1/2 Gallon of MA. But start with 1 Qt, brush and test 30 mins later. Reason I now say this is to factor in a few potential errors. (Size of pool, your ambiguity about the pH being "between the 7.8-8.2 mark", and if your TA is really 130). I am not questioning you on those numbers, but adding less MA at a time is just a safer way to go about it without overshooting.

Me again - I just did my weekly tests again (3 days early) since I wanted to check on my CYA now that 1 sock is totally empty and the other is just about empty.

FC: 2
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
TA: 130
CH: 300
CYA: 30

My question is: What should my targets be for FC, pH & CYA?

With a CYA of 30 my FC target should be 4 w/ a min of 2 according to the chart. I was at 2 last night, added a full 128oz jug of 10% and am already down to 2. Since even with a stabilizer I seem to be dropping FC quickly, should I overshoot and use 6 as my target again so I'll at least be at 2 by the end of the day?

Should I hold at 30 for CYA or try to nudge it up a little more? Or just wait till Sunday night for my regular weekly testing?

From what I've read, a pH of 7.8 should be at the very top of the OK range, but I want to double check that is still the case taking into account my other levels.

Lastly, I'm still having the very very slightest cloudy issue. The spa is crystal clear, the 1st three steps in are beautiful, and then it starts to get just a hint of a yellowy, maybe greenish tinge. I can definitely see all the way down to the bottom of the 10 ft deep end, but I've read ppl talk about being able to "read the year off a dime", and while I'm assuming they're exaggerating, our main drain in the deep end is still missing its cover from being winterized, but I don't think I'd notice if I didn't already know that,if that makes sense? You can see the drain, but you can't necessarily make out details like a cover rather than just the circular drain itself. We're going to try a sand filter deep cleaning over the weekend (God help us), but any other thoughts are appreciated. My OCLT was fine a few days ago.

You should lower your pH to around 7.7. If you don't get it done today, do it in the next couple of days at most.

(Why did you just put in 4 lbs...are you using PoolMath to calculate your dosage?)
I used 4 lbs because ppl had said to start small and add more if needed rather than overshoot. Actually sent husband for a 5 lb-er that Walmart claimed to have in-store, but all he could find was the 4 lb-er.

Last night my FC reading was 1. I added about 1 and a quarter 128oz jugs of 10% LC which PoolMath tells me should have gotten me up to 5. Just tested, and I'm 4 at most, probably closer to 3.5. I passed my OCLT earlier this week. Should I do it again or is there another reason FC not getting high enough?

On a positive note, my pH looks to be right about 7.7, so yay!

PS - I have to admit having fun doing all this testing and tinkering, and really enjoy having my 2 & 4 yr old girls watch mommy doing all this "chemistry" :D

There are a couple of possibilities; the chlorine could be a little weaker due to age (always check the date codes on that 10%) or your pool is a little bigger than you think, or it didn't get mixed around enough. The more important thing is to never let it drop below the minimum, according to the chart. That way you can avoid having to do a SLAM and enjoy a nice clear and clean pool :swim:

The pool company came out Friday morning to repair a light in the pool. While they were here they felt the filter pressure gauge was too high, so they backwashed. It had only been 4 days since I added my CYA socks. They were fully dissolved at that point, but I read that it's recommended not to backwash for at least a week. Is this going to be a problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.