First time testing

Bzurek

Jun 13, 2022
Nebraska
We have a 20x40 sport pool with sun deck. 24,000 gallons

I just received my Taylor K 2006C testing kit. When testing the free chlorine test solution it doesn’t turn pink even with 10 scoops of the R-0870. The ph is 7.2. The TA turns red right away. CYA is 80.

Welcome to the forum

You are wasting that rather pricey R-0870 powder. One scoop is enough in almost EVERY case. You have no pink color so you have no chlorine.

You can confirm that with the quick/daily OTO chlorine test as "Ship of Fools" says.

Can you post complete test results? We will help.

Welcome to the forum

You are wasting that rather pricey R-0870 powder. One scoop is enough in almost EVERY case. You have no pink color so you have no chlorine.

You can confirm that with the quick/daily OTO chlorine test as "Ship of Fools" says.

Can you post complete test results? We will help.
Ya that’s why I quit, the sheet that came with the kit said to add until it turns pink. But the ph is 7.2. The TA turns red right away instead of green so can’t calculate that. CYA is 80.

Well, there is a condition when that can occur.......if your pH has crashed below maybe 5.5 or lower but you report your pH as 7.2. There is no other circumstance that I know of where that can occur. Confirm your current pH as 7.2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please fill in here what I have missed

FC - that's zero
CC - zero
TC - zero
pH - 7.1
TA - apparently zero but I am still puzzled
CH - please test and post the result
CYA - 80

Okay. You have to get a measurable TA.

Turn your pump on and leave it on for now
Please add 25 lbs (it's pretty cheap at walmart or someplace like that) of baking soda.
Broadcast it into the pool and then brush it around until it dissolves. That will go pretty quickly.
Let the pump circulate your water for about 15-20 minutes and then do the TA test again.
Report back

I want to say this situation is quite unusual so please be sure you are not spoofin' me on your test results. :):)

Reactions: ship of fools
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.