Jul 12, 2021
SE Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
I have read through a bunch of the closing materials and still have a few questions regarding the pump and filter. I have a compressor, but I am not sure what type of connector/ end I will need for it to attach/ screw it to my pump? I have a standard quick-release end (left of the pic below):

compressor end.jpg

Also wondering what I need to do prior to hooking the compressor up - leave all plugs in initially? What should my multi-valve be set to initially and during the blow out? I have seen the techs. do something with the sight glass going in to my filter before, not sure if they turn the one-way valve a quarter turn or half turn?

My system is relatively simple, here are a few pics:
IMG-0461.jpgIMG-0462.jpgIMG-0463.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Hey Miscad !!

You can get an adapter from your plumbing supply that uses the drain plug on the pump. One side threaded accordingly and the other with a nipple for the compressor hose.

You want the system sealed with all the plugs in. Most compressors barely get the job done and any leaks will waste valuable CFM. You want as much flow as possible, not PSI. For this reason, large shop vacs and leaf blowers will often work better with an unlimited flow.

Many get frustrated of trying and bite the bullet buying a cyclone designed for the job. The reports this season are up to $700 to close with a service. $350 one time on the cyclone is a much better deal, and next year it's free. But try a $10 fitting and maybe you get lucky with the compressor.

The MPV goes to recirculate and you cycle through each leg.

Post some wide angle shots incorporating the above ground pool and plumbing. Typically they are much easier and many don't need blowing if you can disassemble it all with unions and dump out the pipes.

Have any of the pool/ skimmer / return ?

The pump and filter can come apart at the unions. (y)

OK you need to blow them out because you can't remove them from the pool and even if you had unions, they are buried so you can't shake them out.

Do you have a shop vac ? It's not going to take much to blow the pipes from the pool to the pad and a shop vac would probably work.

OK you need to blow them out because you can't remove them from the pool and even if you had unions, they are buried so you can't shake them out.

Do you have a shop vac ? It's not going to take much to blow the pipes from the pool to the pad and a shop vac would probably work.
I do have a shop vac. In terms of blowing everything out, I first put the shop vac into the skimmer with the multivalve on its regular setting (recirculate) until the water stops coming out of the return?
After that, pull the pump plugs, filter plug, chlorinator (if it has one) and put those in the pump basket?
What about the one way valve going into the filter?
Anything else I’m missing?

I do have a shop vac. In terms of blowing everything out, I first put the shop vac into the skimmer with the multivalve on its regular setting (recirculate) until the water stops coming out of the return?
Exactly. Put the filter to recirculate and try to blow the whole thing with the shop vac hose in the exhaust port of the vac. With an Above ground pool, it might work in one shot. If not, pull the pump and the chloronator and blow the skimmer to pad and the return to pad.
After that, pull the pump plugs, filter plug, chlorinator (if it has one) and put those in the pump basket?
Yup. (y)
What about the one way valve going into the filter?
It should remain dry as the high point of the system.
Anything else I’m missing?
Antifreeze in the buried pipes. A half gallon in each will be added insurance. Then plug the skimmer pipe and return pipe and call it a season. :)

Reactions: miscad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.