First time replacing liner. What questions do I ask

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
Hi All.

Last year, I struggled to find a leak in my pool. I had one hole patch, but was assured there were no more leaks. Well, my pool has been closed for 3 months, and it's almost empty. The liner is at end of life, so I'm just gonna replace it in the spring.

I've never had to buy a liner before.

The places I've called said "give us the dimensions and a picture and I can send you a quote". Seems like there's more to it than that.

Can someone suggest a list of questions I should ask, things I should look for on the quote, things I should insist are written into the quote, etc.

I also have a leak in the 90 coming out the bottom of my wall skimmer, so that will need to be replaced at the same time.

I'd appreciate any suggestions people can make.

Additionally, if anyone has any positive installer/provider recommendations in the Niagara Region, please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

I would want someone experienced to come out and measure my pool. They need to include cost for repairing the floor if needed. Since most of your water has leaked out I would think there is going to be some washout that needs to be repaired. They should also check the steps and make sure they are in good shape, and check the walls for rust and include a quote for that repair if needed. I could see maybe giving a ballpark estimate based on a photo and dimensions, but that won't be precise enough to order a liner in my opinion. How many places have you called?

Measuring a pool to provide dims to a pool company is not what what I would consider a proper request of the owner by a pool company. They are trying to put the monkey of it not fitting and cost for replacement on your back.

How deep it is, the size of the hopper and the run and rise of the slope sometimes is not exactly easy to determine. Especially if you have a pool that is anything but square or rectangular.

Any pool company who is interested in your business should be willing to come out and make the measurements. That way if it doesn't fit, they are on the hook, and not you. In fact, if they are not willing, that should automatically exclude them from any consideration for the liner replacement. If they agree to come out, but are reluctant, the the reluctance means they are not confident in their ability to do it right. Exclude.

Find a reputable builder who specializes in Vinyl Liner Pools and has no reservations about coming out to do the inspection and measurements. And ask them if they have any customer references.

Questions or subjects that you should ask or request to be included in the quote. If it were me, I would have the quote itemized so there is not any question about what is included, and what isn't.

Does the price include repair of the pool floor? (most likely, some repair will be needed).
Does the price include all new through the wall fittings and cover plate?
Does the price include a new skimmer trim plate?
Does the price include a new main drain cover (if you have one).
Does the price include corrosion repair of the pool walls (if you have a steel wall pool).
Does the price come with a workmanship warranty?
What is the warranty on the liner?
What is the thickness of the liner?
Will they install any wall padding? (wall padding is an option, some like it, some dont).

If your pool is doesnt meet the Graeme-Baker act(concerning the main drain) , will they bring it up to meet the code?

I’m not in the same camp as the above comments.

I average about 80 Inground pieces per season.

A liner certainly can be quoted with the square footage, step style & other obvious from photo details.

A hard contract won’t be drawn until a dealer makes a site visit.

A dealer won’t do a technical measure for fabrication until a contract is signed and deposited.

A liner change is : remove replace & dispose of old liner, replace plumbing faceplates & drain grates.

OP outside of basic liner replacement,
going empty this time of year is a bummer, ask for a prices to replace the entire pool floor and shallow end & deep end ring. I’d expect a minimum of a shallow end replacement & areas not under at least 2 feet of water pressure.

Extra charges may span - bead lock, ground water mitigation, plumbing repair, coping repair, wall foam or other decoupling membrane, cost of fill water, chemicals, removal of Major debris, and anything outside of the agreed scope of work.

* a 2.5% increase in sheet material is expected in February, this will impact all liner manufacturers.

Thabks PoolGuy!

Sorry if this is dumb, but can you help me understand what this means?

The troweled material under the liner will not fair well without being pinned by water pressure.

Vermiculite cement mix will turn to fluffy dust, sand bottom will disappear , and a 3 to 1 drypack bottom will loose its cement.

To make a long story longer, liner pool bottoms are not structural members, they just decouple the liner from the earth.

To make the story shorter, expect repairs or replacement to the troweled material under the liner.

Any good contractor won’t place a new liner on a compromised pool floor, unfortunately a reliable repai it will take his time & your money.

Those that will cut that corner to win a sale, well they are clowns - and their poor practices will be evident soon in the performance and appearance of your new liner.

Btw - all manufacturers warranties require a minimum of 2” prepared subase under the liner.
By prepared subbase they mean troweled competent material, like those I named above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.